NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First night star-gazing.

SweetLeaf

Hello everybody,

Just thought I would introduce myself here, seeing as I signed up today and spent my first real night star-gazing tonight. :D

I'm from just outside of Toronto and I recently got my first telescope, the Celestron NexStar 114SLT, and have been loving it so far.

With the included 9mm and 25mm eyepieces I haven't been able to see many cool things besides the moon, but the second that I looked through that eyepiece at the moon, I knew that this is going to be a hobby I'm going to have for a long time. :D

I don't have any thing special to take images with but I did manage to snap this pic of the moon with my cellphone, lol. Real **** quality, but as this is my first time, I'm loving it. :)

5zjedx.jpg

I do plan on buying the NexImage soon so I can capture better images.

Also, I am obviously interested in viewing deeper sky objects other than the moon, lol, so I was just wondering if anybody could recommend any other things that I might be able to see with the included eyepieces, or maybe some eyepieces that I should invest in?

I was thinking about picking up this set soon...

Eyepiece and Filter Kit 1.25 in (item #94303) / Spring Clearance Sale / Products / Celestron.com

Would this be a good investment to better my viewing experiences?

Hi SweetLeaf and welcome to SGL.

Your pictures pretty good for a phone, I've tried doing it with my iPhone and they don't turn out that good.

It is good to have a good selection of different focal length eye pieces and the filters do come in useful. I'm eventually going to get a similar set myself.

Good luck with the star gazing and I hope you have clear skies.

Marc

Hi sweetleaf and welcome to SGL, Not bad photos for a cellphone!

The set does look good but don't rush into buying EP's when you have said you have not even seen that much with the supplied EP's.

9mm and 25mm should give you loads and loads of choices of what you can see atm! i would try using your EP's alot first and get used to them, what mag do you need for each object? what detail will i see with each piece? etc... before you going buying a new set.

Have fun with your scope! :D

Hi SweetLeaf,

A warm welcome to the forum. :D

Before you throw yourself into imaging take some time to learn and get comfortable with the equipment that you already have. In the process you'll start learning your way around the sky.

If, after a while you think that astro-photography is the way you want to go, then the first thing you should do is get a copy of Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards - steppenwolf here on the forum.

It'll guide you through imaging from the start. Advising on choosing the right kit and what techniques work well, helping you avoid the costly and time-wasting pitfalls.

Highly recommended and easy to read.

Rather than buying an eyepiece kit, you'd be better of getting only one or two EPs, but of higher quality. But wait until you've spent some time using your 'scope and have a better idea of what you're "missing".

HTH

Hi there, I am also new to the group, but have been into astronomy for years. The best object I could recommend would be Saturn. The first time I saw it II was hooked for good. and it is easy to shoot, I took this one with a 25mm eyepiece and a cheap $100 digital camera.

jleach29-albums-saturn-picture4807-2460625970-0028434bc2-b-filtered.jpg

Saturn is up now so check it out you will love it.

Hi,

Welcome. The Celestron EP set you are looking at. I am going to be selling one of those with another couple of bits included, BUT without the coloured filters and the original barlow (replacement SW barlow included in sale). I will probably put it up in the for sale section next week once I have had a chance to check the EPs and barlow out one last time.

Archived