Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8" or 10" Skyliner?

I currently have an Explorer 130 and am going to upgrade my scope.

I like the idea of a Dob as it will sit in my garage and just get moved into the garden when needed and I've settles on the Skywatcher Skyliner range.

I'm not going for the flexitube range as I don't need the portability and they are more expensive.

So my question is which size should I go for with my £450 budget?

The Skyliner 200p or the 250PX?

Should I get an 8" and a really nice wide eyepiece or will I get much more for the extra £140ish with the 10" over the 8"?

Any help much appreciated.

go for the biggest! or save another £70 and buy the 12" revelation dob from telescope house @ £510 ???

I think a 12" would be a little big and I've only got £450 really.

I just wondered whether that 2" makes a lot of difference. I'll be getting a huge difference from my 5" 650 by moving up anyway.

I upgraded from a 130 explorer to a 10" flextube dob a week or so ago and the extra 5" is astounding. I didn't realise that M42 could look so different even in skies that were very light polluted.

Go for the 10" and it will stop the what if questions that no doubt will arise if you get an 8" dob.

A 10" dob will serve you well for many years of observing

I upgraded from a 130 explorer to a 10" flextube dob a week or so ago and the extra 5" is astounding. I didn't realise that M42 could look so different even in skies that were very light polluted.

Go for the 10" and it will stop the what if questions that no doubt will arise if you get an 8" dob.

A 10" dob will serve you well for many years of observing

Thanks Insomnia.

I think that's made my mind up. I hadn't thought about the "what if" scenario and I think going for the 10" will give me everything I need.

Just the nudge I needed! :-)

Yup - go for aperture as indicated above - 10" is what I'd do if I were you - you'll be amazed at the difference - which wouldn't be as striking with the 8" (although the 8" is definitely an improvement).

Tens favourite :(

Another in agreement with the rest. I went from an 8 inch SCT to a 10 and the difference was very significant both on the planets and the deep sky. I think it is a fairly critical boundary for some reason. But if you can hed for the 12, do it...

Olly

I couldn't compare the two (although 2/3rd more light gathering should brighten up the image noticible), but i narrowed my choice down to these two modells as well.

Went with the bigger scope in the end because i wanted a scope that i can use for years to come and the price difference is not so big if you spread it over a few years (or so i argued with myself :()

I moved sideways (maybe backwards:icon_scratch:) from a 200 on a goto mount to a 200 skyliner dob and the difference was instant. Not only was the image brighter but clearer(the image of mars is equal to my first image of saturn).....so erm a 10'' would be better:D

Andy

There is just one significant difference between the 8" and 10" Skywatcher dobsonians which is worth thinking about IMHO and that's the focal ratio. The 8" is F/6 while the 10" is F/4.7. I've owned both and, while there was no doubt that the 10" was a better "light bucket" for deep sky objects, the 8" was noticably easier to collimate and keep in collimation which meant, for me, that I found the planetary and double star performance more satisfying with it more of the time. The F/6 has a smaller secondary obstruction (which improves contrast a little) and was also a bit more tolerant of low cost eyepieces.

Just minor points I guess but worth including in the "mix" I feel.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Yesterday my shiny new 10" Skyliner arrived and I used it lasdt night.

WOW! :p

Everything was so bright and clear compared to my 5" and I saw Saturn in a new light. Literally almost so brightly I reached for my shades! :)

SO now should I go for a 16" or 20" :)

Only just come across this thread ... glad you are happy with the new scope.

The only caution I was going to mention is that the 10" is a big beast to shift - I was never able to get on with mine. Just mentioning it in case of anyone else in the same situation.

Only just come across this thread ... glad you are happy with the new scope.

The only caution I was going to mention is that the 10" is a big beast to shift - I was never able to get on with mine. Just mentioning it in case of anyone else in the same situation.

I didn't have any trouble carrying it fully assembled from my garage to patio which is only about 15 yards. I can see it might be a problem if you wanted to carry it to a dark site in the middle of a field though. :)

If anyone is in two minds whether it's worth upgunning to a dob from a starter scope like I have just do it. You'll not look back.

Next job is getting a wide angle eyepiece so I can see more of these lovely bright clusters.

Any advice on that?

I previously took the view of 'Insomnia' when it came to choosing a companion for my refractor. I wanted a good sized dob and initially thought about a 10" but then saw so many posts from people upgrading t the 12" that I went for the bigger scope - effectively what you did from the 8". the Orion scope is a little longer than most 12" at 1600mm but also strangely lighter and easily carried the whole length of the house. this extra length makes it f5.3 so a little easier to collimate but in truth you have to learn this skill with ALL newts so it's no loss / gain really. eyepieces are another matter though as John says. the main things is that you use it and I am sure you will.

you did the right thing in my view going for the bigger aperture and as you have already found, the brightness is one thing but the resolution is also a great benefit with more aperture too.

good choice!

Archived