Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Day - North

daz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend Bowes area, Nr Barnard Castle.

It is pretty much the middle of the north (depending on how far sound you consider to be the midlands, for me it's Manchester)

It is on the edge of the countryside so we should get some dark skies, plus you have Barnard Castle and Bowes Museum close by for a good day trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was just wondering is there any point to continuing this thread any longer, it was started a year ago but unfortunately nothing has progressed. I was thinking that starting a new thread with a new direction might be a better idea.

It seems pretty clear that lots of people are very interested in an imaging session but nobody is available to give the talks / demonstrations.

So i was thinking about another possible option :- Why don't we pool our collective knowledge and have a imaging session where we have lots of guest speakers, i.e. different people will cover different topics in their area of expertise.

e.g. 1 person might cover basic skills for imaging aquisition (Maxim DL, nebulosity etc), another person might cover guiding in more detail, someone else might cover photoshop etc,etc etc.

If we can collect a pool of different resouces, we might be able to come up with a great agenda.

Would love to hear peoples views on this ?

That sounds sensible.

Or tack our meet onto another imaging meet (such as Macclesfields (IIRC)), or a BAA one. Surely if there meet was helped and made larger and better they would be happy?

Over the next week i'm going to look for a few suitable venues, and check for availability then i will put up a voting poll, to decide on the venue, but at at this moment and time kielder would be a very good option if it's available as it has some of the darkest sky in the country, it has a big observatory there which might nice for people to use as well as having a conference center.

I think this is the only way to move this forward, by someone choosing a venue then people can decide if they wan't to come or not, which stops the whole post code lottery debate.

I'll ring round this coming week and check for availability.

Rich.

Imaging Day Update

===============

Firstly i'd like to apologise to Daz for Hijacking the thread.

Anyway, i've spoken to Gary at the kielder observatory, and it looks like we wont be able to get a session booked before the end of the season, but we are discussing a possible imaging session at the back end of september. I'll keep people posted on this.

In the mean time, I'm looking at options for other venues to hopefully arrange an imaging session before end of April.

Rough idea for imaging agenda

=======================

Daytime

--------

* basic of Imaging (cover the basics of popular packages / equiptment discussions for people new to imaging)

* Polar Alignment / Pointing accuracy techniques (eqmod, Pinpoint LE / GSC 1.1 etc)

* Guiding basics to more advanced techniques (techniques & different types of guiding)

* LRGB / Narrowband Imaging discussion

* Imagine Combine / Post Processing ( Popular tools - Deepsky stacker, Photoshop etc )

Solar / planetary Imaging Basic (With possible Solar viewing session)

Evening

======

For the evening, it would be more practical hands on demonstrations, possibly with people bringing their own equiptment. We could split this into 2 area's, wide field and planetary imaging.

Please note that this is just a rough idea of an agenda. I'm happy for any suggestions of topics people would like to see covered.

Please note that i would like to keep the discussions to imaging topics you would like to see covered and not locations at the moment.

Rich.

I think I would be most interested in the processing of images. I think most people can have a rough idea of what an imaging setup involves and will probably have started to takes some pics but don't know how to get the most out of them. Or maybe ideal settings for different DSO's and how to start 'guessing' which setting is best suited.

Depending on what day you're intending to hold this then maybe the evening session may not be too popular if people have work the next day as April is quite short notice.

All, I've only had 1 person feedback what they would like to see included in the imaging session, so i'm guessing people have lost interest in this, so for this reason i'm going to cancel trying to arrange a session including the sept / Oct date at kielder.

Rich.

Hey Smoggy,

yeah it's a shame as i had spoken to Kielder observatory and had some rough provisional dates for the back end of sept / Oct.

But seeing you were the only one who came forward with suggestions of what you would like to see i've decided that there's no longer enough interest and that it would be a waste of my time.

Maybe try again later in the year with a fresh thread......

Rich, apologies just seen the thread.

I'd be up for it. Also think your suggestions of content, venue and timing are great.

Also up for lending a hand.

No practical knowledge to pass on but happy to have a crack at logistics.

Kieran

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Jamie, fair enough. Just thought it was pointless keeping it open seeing it's been going for over a year and nothing has been achieved.

Just thought it would have made more sense, closing the thread and someone can start a new one in the future when they have some proper plans, as at the moment it just wastes people time reading though it all only to get to the end of it and find out that no imaging session actually exists........kind of giving people false hope as it were.

just my 2 cents......

I'm on about other people who keep coming along and posting, case in point......Specman's post.

All i was trying to do was stop people wasting time reading the thread, seeing there is no imaging session, but I can see common sense isn't going to prevail here, so i'll drop the subject and make sure i remember to unsubscribe from the thread.

Archived