Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Day - North

daz

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

May i suggest a few possible venues here up North.

Suggestion 1

==========

Kielder Area, Possibly see if a room is available at the kielder observatory. Could make it an overnight stay in a local hotel, where people might like bring their portable gear to try out any new techniques on the evening under some of the darkest sky in the uk. If it's cloudy we could all go to the pub instead.

Suggestion 2

==========

Newcastle / Durham area, I'm sure either the newcastle or durham astronomy societies could help us sort a room, or perhaps the local universities Astronomy departments could help host a session.

Newcastle is far enough up north and close enough for people in scotland, kind of in the middle of leeds and scotland and only 45 mins drive form the carlisle west side of the country. Newcastle / Durham area is also very easy to get to by train, plane and car. This also opens the door to any people in ireland who might want to get a cheap flight direct to newcastle.

If newcastle sounds like a good venue, i'm happy to help coordinating with local astronomy societies to try and sort a suitable venue.

Rich.

Hi Daz,

Is this event likely to take place as the thread has been running for a few months with only suggestions on venue locations being made and nothing solid being arranged.

I personally would be delighted to be able to attend a northern imaging session and get the chance to speak to fellow imagers.

Rich.

Hi Daz,

Is this event likely to take place

...no!

lol, erm you'd think something would get sorted out, i suggest short straws or a short quiz to have a winner select a place!

If it ever does get finalised, I should be getting a car soon so options are open...Edinburgh would be okay though as its a few hours on the train...though i'd need someone to give us a lift to the site : )

Abernus, now you're just being picky with sunderland......lol

Newcastle or Durham is better as they are train stations on the main rail line. Just seems a little silly to get off at newcastle station to then catch another train to Sunderland.

Besides anyone driving to Sunderland could kiss goodbye to their car wheels.......lol........Kidding.....just a bit of banter from the good side of the water :)

...I 'm not sure you guys realise just how big Scotland is! :D As a man from S.O.T I used to consider myself a Northerner but now I really do live in the far North and Newcastle is about 9 hours away South! :)

The trouble is that the roads really slow things down until you hit Perth. From anywhere in England Carlisle is a piece of cake via the M'ways.

Even the Athens of the North, Edinburgh is 7 hours minimum! For people in the North of England, Lakes, Newcastle and the whole of Scotland, Edinburgh has got to be the place, but for the finest dark sites the closer to to Inverness the better. There is some lovely skies and no light polution the further North you get.

Clear skies!

Mark

oh yeah, scotland is prety big, and the vast majority of it is very remote, serviced by narrow and winding roads, which making driving great fun, spectacular but dangerous to those unfamiliar with it.

edinburgh is just up on the A1....dead easy! As you go further north, the driving becomes more challenging and less direct.

As you go further north, the driving becomes more challenging and less direct.

dodging all those drunks eh Paul!

Cheers for the offer man, might take you up on it. I think the main focus should be on

a) light pollution free zones

:) transport links

c) cloud free zones (ambitious!)

and

d) near to bargain booze

Newcastle Carlile, Kielder, borders (both the Scottish and English sides) all sound good to me. Further north and the driving does get 'challenging' hence my frequent visits on the bike. The further North you go the sky does get better but better to head to the west coast as there are fewer bigger towns.

So, lets hear it mods, admin and the others in the SGL driving seat, is there any chance of this happening? It would be good to meet and learn from the bestest imagers on SGL......

Gary

Ok perhaps this needs to be split into 2 imaging days to keep everyone happy.......

North of England somewhere to keep us British Folk happy, and somewhere out in the boonies in that different country they call "Scotland" to keep all the dress wearing men happy :)

Just something to think about in two words if you are planning the West of Scotland, 1. midgies 2. rain, rain & more rain! :D

You best bet would be Inverness-shire or Perthshire, not too far off the A9. I think there is even a couple of clubs in the area that could help with location, accommodation, best food and of course the all important watering holes! :)

Another point to consider (though as a newbie I stand corrected) is security. Lots of nice shiney kit left in cars around places like Edinburgh is asking for trouble and could spoil somebodies weekend.

Here's my recommendation, Blair Atholl.

(In order of importance)

Nice quiet village, fantastic camp site and facilities, great pub, great chip shop and pizza :) oohh and great dark site! (nearly forgot the purpose of the trip) :)

Caravan Parks in Scotland - Visit Blair Castle

Clear skies!

Mark

Well guys I hate to say it, but i think this thread is best closed, it's been running for months now without anyone really driving this forward, let alone coming anywhere close to agreeing a venue.

It's a nice idea, but i fear that's all it will be for now.....

Looks like it's back to the books as i wait patiently for clear sky month after month....... :)

excuse me! how dare you imply that we are not part of the british isles.

after the thousands of years of oppression we have experienced at the hands of the english monarchs, you know say you dont want us anyway.

fine by me

i want scottish independance.

alba gu brath

paul

Archived