Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Explorer-250PDS Anyone own one?

Thats my point Mr Spock, if the OP already has a EQ6 why not buy a 10" Dob and tube rings and get 2 setups for the price of one?

(I don't think using a Dob precludes "serious observing" but maybe thats for another thread?)

Edited by GazOC

It seems a lot of peoples issues with using the 250 on the EQ6 mount are down to the weight of the setup causing problems with rotating the tube etc, perhaps i should have pointed out that(and please, dont take this as been bigheaded because it certainly isnt meant that way) but ive been body building nearly 25 years now, im 6ft tall and weigh 19 1/2 stone and id have no trouble carrying that tube with the mount and weights attached quite easily, i carry the eq6 with its weights, the 80ed pro canon 350d, handset etc out through the house between 2 doorways at awkward angles and in to the garden with the same ease someone would carry a camera on a tripod, so i dont really think weight is going to be an issue at all:) (sorry that sounded so "look at me", it really isnt meant to be:o)

Edited by Mick UK

I had an 8" newt on an HEQ5 for a while, and while it gave great views, It was literally such a pain in the neck to observe with that I got rid of it. It may be a great setup for imaging, but for visual use no thanks.

My solution....an OO 14" dob (99 strehl mirror) with StellarCAT drive system. Sets up in 5 minutes and the eyepiece is always in a convenient place. Even if you don't bother taking the time to polar align accurately it still tracks well enough for visual use. The only downside is the cost, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

John

Hi

Interesting thread, and as previously mentioned i have a 250 Newt and have come to love it. I think the orginator of the thread did mention imaging and I belive (happy to be corrected) that the 250 will do a fine job in the right hands ?

I did try and search the forum for images taken with the 250 Newt and failed (probably searched incorrectly). Can a more enlightned person point us to images that can be achieved with this sort of setup

regards

John B

• Like 1

I'm still convinced i can come up with a solution to the eyepiece problem Astro_Baby!:):D

Well let me know how that works out for you.

Mr Spock - I dont have a problem with EQ mounted scopes myself and I agree with you. Pushinga scope around to track is VERY distracting thats exactly why I prefer motorised scopes BUT personally I find even a 200 very trying at times. Its big and its bulky. Yes the views are good, yes its very capable but I'd never want to bolt someone into one without making them aware that big refelectors on EQ mounts are not without their problems.

I see too many of them for sale on astro forums from people with bad backs or just plain fed up with the scope (ebay recently has had a glut of 10" OO and Sky-Watchers on EQ mounts) and I think that sums it up.

Until you have seen the pyhsical size of one of these things you need to be wary is all and plenty of people find the whole thing of rotating a big scope in its rings a real nightmare. Its easy enough with a TAL 1 or a Sywatcher 130 its somewhat different witha bigger scope. I am not exactly inexperienced and I have had a fair few nights with mine where I have cursed it mightily.

Once when the scope slipped badly while rotating the tube in its rings - was nearly a disaster - only me getting hit by the scope on my knee stopped a major catastrophe, twice the scope ripped up some of the rings felt and stuck itself fast into the rings and a few time trying to rotate it has caused it to push the mount out of alignment requiring a Synscan restart. Thats why I eventually came up with a simple rotating ring idea.

• Like 1

so i dont really think weight is going to be an issue at all:) (sorry that sounded so "look at me", it really isnt meant to be:o)
Hmm.. I think you're missing the point here which is that you have to hold a 10" scope up to balance it when it is on the dovetail. It isn't the fact that it's the weight that's the problem, more the fact that you need to move it 1 inch upwards holding a 10" tube in one hand with the mass of it some 2ft to your right which is totally different to holding a 10kg weight as a dumbell....

I don't doubt you are strong, nor that you can handle the weight, it's just that if you have to fiddle night after night to get it in just the right position so that it's both balanced and easy to see through, you might not bother at all. If you are happy doing this then that's fine, but all people are doing is warning you that it's not just the absolute weight that's the issue.

So has anyone got any planetary images they could post up from the Explorer 250pds?

ive searched this site and im struggling to find any:(

Planetary imagers tend to go for long focal length SCTs or even larger 300-350 mm newts. with barlows as what you need to get decent scale from planets is focal length.

O well, problem solved, ive just ordered the SkyWatcher 250p ds from FLO:D

Ive just come across a user on her called Neil Phillips who does a lot of Planetary imaging using a 10 Orion Newtonian scope all i can say is, check out his images on SGL and here on his website!

Im not saying the Skywatcher 250 wil give as good images but at least i can see the potential and Neil uses his scope on a EQ6 mount so he obviously isnt having difficulties using it. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll let you know how i get on with it and how easy or hard it is to use on the mount.

Neils Website

Saturn

O well, problem solved, ive just ordered the SkyWatcher 250p ds from FLO:D

Ive just come across a user on her called Neil Phillips who does a lot of Planetary imaging using a 10 Orion Newtonian scope all i can say is, check out his images on SGL and here on his website!

Im not saying the Skywatcher 250 wil give as good images but at least i can see the potential and Neil uses his scope on a EQ6 mount so he obviously isnt having difficulties using it. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll let you know how i get on with it and how easy or hard it is to use on the mount.

Neils Website

Saturn

Look forward to seeing some images from this scope too. I think Neil's scope is a longer focal length F6.3, whereas yours (and mine) are F4.8, but it still should be good. This was my first or second attempt at imaging Mars with the 250px, using a toucam.

Object_20100210_2241_029_LR.jpg

Tooth_Dr, thats a very nice image of Mars with plenty of detail, and considering its one of your first, i'd be well happy with the same result, when i look back to some of my first Deep Space images taken only 4 months back its unbelievable how far ive come in such a short time with how my images are progressing, lets hope the same applies to planetary images as well:)

Scope arriving in the morning so brollies out people!:)

O well...as impatient as ever, my new Skywatcher Explorer 250pds Turned up 10am this morning! (Excellent srevice FLO!):mad:

After some of the advice ive recieved, it was what i was expectiong. Quite a big scope, altho i find i can quite manage quite easily, i can see why i was given the advice i was given and i certainly would'nt recommend it to anyone wanting to use one on a EQ6 mount who isnt physically strong.

Once on the mount i attempted to rotate the tube to make it easier to view through the eye piece without knocking the mount out of allignment which i had no problem doing, altho i am planning on taking Astro_Babies advice and making some form of rotating ring to make the tube even easier to turn when im out in the dark.

(As usual, the forecast is for rain and clouds for the foreseeable future so i'll have time to play around with it, and come up with some ideas for a rotating ring which i'll post when completed)

Heres a pic of my new Toy! :)

post-17887-133877435445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mick UK
  • Like 1

Cheers arad85, looking at the weather forecast i'll be testing my patience for a while yet!:mad:

Fortunately for me, theres a 10 story block of flats about700 yards away from where i live with a radio mast on it, on that mast is a very bright red light. (i'd liken it to a laser dot)

So at least i have my own all weather start test! (sad i know, but it gets the scope out!):)

Hmm.. I think you're missing the point here which is that you have to hold a 10" scope up to balance it when it is on the dovetail.

What I did with mine was drill the dovetail and put a couple of bolts through. All I have to do now is hook the bolts over the mount and I can hold the scope with one hand, and tighten the dovetail bolt with the other.

That sounds like a good idea Mr Spock, altho im assuming you do that when you mount the tube onto the mount, i think what arad85 was refering too was when you need to turn the tube after allignment so you can see into the eye peice better without knocking the mount out of allignment. As ive said, i found it not difficult at all, but i do intend to make something along the lines of Astro_Babies pointer Andy's Shot Glass - Wilson Rotating Rings - Astronomy & Astrophotography for Non-Gazillionaires

only i intend putting an handle of sort acroos the 2 "Rotating" rings so it will serve to lift the scope onto the mount easier, and also ,to turn the scope in its mount rings. I'll put some pics up when ive made something:)

Edited by Mick UK

BTW, well done on the purchase. You will have many hours of fun out of that scope.

I've never found turning the tube difficult, as long as the tube is horizontal when I do it.

I have a dovetail across my rings with a 80mm f5 attached via some guidescope rings. Great finder (easy to reach!) and a good lifting point.

Thanks Spock and doc :)

"You should have put a pic of yourself beside the scope to give some scale :D"

I thought about it, but i didnt want anyone thinking Steve at FLO had sent me a 130p instead of the 250p by mistake:p:D

Edited by Mick UK

Thanks for those images Mike, could'nt you have waited untill this lousy weather has gone in about a months time so i can have a look see for myself:mad: lol

Im actually glad you posted them today and not Sunday Night/Monday Morning, otherwise i'd have drive down to Devon from the North East on monday to pick my scope up! :)(talk about been impatient, you've just made it worse with those pics!:mad:)

Excellent pics Mike, im all abuzz now! :headbang:

Mick,

wow that's big. You can get a much better feeling for the scale of the telescop with your photo which shows some background. (compared to the website photos which have no scale) Hope you get many happy hours viewing from it!

cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, i managed to get it out for an hour tuesday AM, i got to see saturn and The great cluster in Hercules, the sky was still a bit misty looking so seeing was anything but perfect...I was blown away with the views, i could'nt take my eyes off Saturn:eek:, and this was in a highly light polluted area as well!

Gobsmacked is the word im looking for!

heres a better pic for you for a size comparison, my missus is in it but i had to block her face out otherwise i could'nt post it! (i rather like her new look better to be honest!) lol:D

post-17887-133877435985_thumb.jpg

hi mick

i have the same ota on a Heq5 pro and yes they are a beast.

if you're like me you'll love the scope. the views are amazing.

i currently looking for a box to stand on for the high views.

jobe

• 11 months later...