NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible discovery - Logged with BAA minor planets and comet sections

I was imaging today at 15:00 UT with Faulkes North and spotted this in all of the individual channel FITS frames as they were coming in.

It appears possible (still to be confirmed) that the nucleus of the comet has split. Anyone with FTN access can download the raw FITS files to verify (Wiltshire Astronomical Society - Siding)

Image uploaded here for verification also..

I have emailed the BAA people with this at 16:10UT today, also logged with CBAT at the IAU

FIngers crossed

post-14410-13387743408_thumb.jpg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a stupid question at all.. The images were taken over a 30 minute period, the stars moved clearly, this object trails the main nucleus.

Have 16 FITS images showing the stars moving and this not..

Fingers still crossed

The team linked above have kindly sent their images over, from only a few days ago...no split...:-)

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/picture?PictId={E959BC93-322C-4F0B-8031-9F8892E4C969}&size=orig

So it happened between the 13th and 17th...and as luck would have it I found it..

Have contacted Mt Palomar to see if they can do any follow on observations, as I am off FT for at least a week now

Here's the RAW FITS discovery image (as a jpeg for here)...red channel at 15:07UT, and the final red channel 22 minutes later showing the secondary comet nucleus/condensation moving with it relative to the stars (combined shot of the two, 50% balance)

post-14410-133877434128_thumb.jpg

post-14410-133877434135_thumb.jpg

Archived