Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible discovery - Logged with BAA minor planets and comet sections

Being interviewed by the BBC in Wales in 15 minutes...live...aaaahhh!

MPC IAU have confirmed that despite several other people "claiming" it, I got there first... so so so deliriously happy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MPML list had a post today (23rd March) claiming that it was seen and logged before me, though no public post was made by the people concerned. I thought this would probably happen, but still, no matter what transpires, it's been great and enjoyable. My hope is that CBAT/IAU give us joint discovery (independent like Feynman and Tomanaga or Couch Adams and Le Verrier)

The MPML list had a post today (23rd March) claiming that it was seen and logged before me, though no public post was made by the people concerned. I thought this would probably happen, but still, no matter what transpires, it's been great and enjoyable. My hope is that CBAT/IAU give us joint discovery (independent like Feynman and Tomanaga or Couch Adams and Le Verrier)

In my book Nick that seems a bit unfair considering the amount of work you have put into this. How much work has the person who spotted it at MPML done. It's very easy to just say Oh I saw that before he did but surely you need scientific evidence like you gathered before he is credited with joint discovery.

They claim to have logged it with the IAU/CBAT and posted astrometric data. However this was not on any website or mentioned until after I had posted and gone live

To be honest, whilst if they do get full credit I would be a bit disappointed, the fact that an amateur can do this, and hopefully encourage thousands of schoolkids around the world to use FT and pay attention to what they see, is reward enough.

Nick

Is this 'co-discoverer' a professional astronomer?

If so, what follow up have they done?

I hope the IAU see sense and attribute your work accordingly. :):mad:

Whatever happens your work with the FT shows that amateurs still have a significant part to play in astronomy.

Cheers

Ian

This co discoverer is a professional at Pic Du MIDI in France. I hope so too, but will happily defer to them if not...it's not a worry...I am happy and amateurs as you say can still make a contribution

What may be the case is that according to what I have just been told, the IAU rules, the first person to post two nights of astrometric data gets the discovery. I didn't know how to do this or that it was even needed. I got an email back from the IAU asking for magnitude estimations, separation and RA/DEC, which is what I gave them last Wednesday..

Anyway...c'est La Vie...as the French would say...let's see what happens

I hope that the IAU credit this to you Nick, you certainly deserve it, especially as you have done a full independent follow-up on your own original data. Sadly, I guess it was only a matter of time before some professional somewhere tried to get in on the action but hopefully the authorities will do the right thing - if they don't, we all know what your contribution to this has been.

Archived