SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible discovery - Logged with BAA minor planets and comet sections

Fingers crossed for you Nick. Regardless of what happens you have put amateur astronomy and telescopes like the FT in the public eye. Companies would pay millions to get the publicity you've managed to get for UK astronomy. Well done for being a great ambasador for amateurs everywhere :)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be professional about this. if indeed they have secretly found it first and logged the correct data with the powers that be then it's out of my hands, and at the mercy of the IAU

That's the ONLY thing wrong in the press release (which FT have tried to correct) I was actually off sick at home that day, laptop (netbook) on my lap on the sofa, watching crappy daytime TV in the background, using FT...and running a basic DDP on the data...

and work know I use FT at work, I usually have time scheduled during my lunch hour

I have to be professional about this. if indeed they have secretly found it first and logged the correct data with the powers that be then it's out of my hands, and at the mercy of the IAU

That may be true Nick, and it would be a shame if this was taken away, but to most people the fact that the BBC and other media have written that you found it, it's probably pretty much wrapped up the their minds.

Stu

Well, the scientist in me says it has to be done right.. and if they do get it, then I applaud them for being both methodical and professional. I have lots to learn, and this experience is a big big learning curve, helped along by some terrific people

And as usual , the Daily Mail (whom I have not spoken to) have got it completely and utterly wrong...lost count how many facts they had made up/got wrong

:) let me guess, they are saying you discovered the comet and some illegal immigrants have blown it into several bits.

Hope you get the official credit. If two people come up with the same discovery independently, then it shouldn't be a case of who was first, it should be co-discovered. You're certainly the one getting all the plaudits at the moment. Remember that episode of Father Ted: That gobshite again! Is he never off the air?! :mad:

Daily Mail article is creating furious debate, which I expected, as per usual, they have got everything wrong.. I have had to (wash my hands) email them with corrections and also log on (wash my hands again) to their forum and also make corrections

Amazing how everyone else can get it almost perfectly right, and that rag gets it all so so wrong

For anyone who wants to follow the fun...here's the link to the comet position

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/07q3.eq

I am imaging in my lunch break today again using FTN. All systems go right now, with clear skies over Hawaii

SGL (after FT and Astronomy Now) will have the latest images. You guys have really been so so supportive...thank you all..

IAU contacted me again last night for clarification on one set of observations, so I have not given up hope that I get at least joint discovery

Well, I have a science background...that's how I was trained, and how in professional life you should be. I lose my rag from time to time online etc.. and tell it how it is, but when a professional observatory, with people that have been imaging comets for decades comes along.. and says they imaged it first (albeit without telling anyone), then I must accept until the IAU say otherwise, that this may be the case.

What it's done though, is show that amateurs can still make a difference, and has brought astronomy into the headlines again, for the right reasons. It's massively increased the exposure for Faulkes, which is a great thing, as they are a terrific group of people, who manage and run a terrific resource for kids (just watching a school in Australia imaging a big NGC object...)

Hmmm a professional body just so happened to discover something - forgetting to tell people the fact...:)

It doesn't stack up...I find it incredulous that they wouldn't have reported this and made a statement along the lines of today we have discovered what appears to be the fragmentation of the comet and are currently providing astrometric data to confirm this.

Anyway....I am sure I can speak for many on SGL that this discovery belongs to you.

Chris

Well, they claim to have submitted to the IAU (whcih I don't doubt) but that the email got lost in the ether... or that they have been "blacklisted" email wise...

I am not sure, but Pic Du MIDI is a professional observatory and I have no doubt at all that the team there are doing the right thing as well and good work

Archived