Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible discovery - Logged with BAA minor planets and comet sections

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only just seen this, excellent reading.

Congrats to you Nick:icon_salut::(, on whatever the out come is, on the time and effort you have put into this and keeping us even smaller people informed.

Has there been any further developments?

Well done.

Andy

I have just got back from an imaging run in Spain...gigabytes of Solar to process, some lunar, Mercury, Venus and some deep sky... plus the comet split is elongating (had time on FTN whilst in Spain)...lots to catch up on...will post more soon

Am imaging again in 1 hour... if this one shows no new splitting or activity, I may ease up on the frequency as I have another target object in mind..

Was very nice to be on the Sky at Night on Monday with it though.. huge thank you to Pete, Chris and the production team for including it.

Hot off the press: Just come off FTN...

It's gone (pretty much completely)

A fragment the size of a mountain has sublimated away in just under a week

Just some very faint hints left...15 x 60s using FTN

post-14410-13387743976_thumb.jpg

So...now have a start time/date for the eruption (approx 13th March 2010), courtesy of John Slinn's excellent images fromo IOW showing a brightening. Pic Du MIDI et al observations from that date also...then continual tracking for a month, by me, and several other observatories, leading to a mountain sized piece of this comet, sublimating away...or...possibly something else? Need to verify with PDM or another source...but this is fascinating

I have to be honest, the support here has been so immense, that it's a credit to this forum...thank you everyone for hopefully enjoying this thread...and just remember to always have a look at your data... you never know what may be lurking..

She's back

An observatory posted images from the 17th and 18th showing the B fragment again, so I re-ran some processing (vastly mroe agressive) on earlier images I had taken where the b was not showing. With a stack of 15 images and very heavy DDP and HPF filtering, it's there... way fainter, but there

post-14410-133877441602_thumb.jpg

Archived