Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Huge prominence on the Sun - now 13th March

Mark at Beaufort

Thanks Mark...saw it earlier, it was impressive...didn't get a chance to image though due to having a house full of my daughters friends (4 year olds) now running around...H-A and kids = bad idea :-)

Huge prominence on the Sun today (March 16). Not sure if it's the same one as reported on 13th as I missed that . Current appearance suggests similar size. Overall, a large looping arc with beautifully fine filligree cascades towards the solar horizon. Adjacent to the prominence, a large active area surrounding a sizeable black sunspot as viewed in Ha. Several large dark surface filaments also obvious. Observations made with a Skywatcher 100 ED Pro with 80mm ERF, ex PST etalon etc, Denk binoviewers with 40mm Plossls.

When the 'attachments' to the sun's disk have broken it is going to shoot upwards pretty fast <1hr. I watched the 13th one in the late afternoon after some people had put their scopes away! Amazing how fast it can change.

PEterW

Archived