Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Liverpool, UK

james_uk

Hi, I'm James from Liverpool, how is everyone?

I have brought myself a Skywatcher Explorer 130P Telescope, i chose this one due to thinking, and hoping in its price range it seemed pretty good, and seemed to get a lot of good reviews, i was split between this model and the 130M model which has is motor driven, the P model has parabolic mirrors which i am led to believe is better for me as i could always buy a motor driven mount another time if needed.

I look forward to talking in this forum, i am fairly new to astronomy though so if anyone has any advice or anything to say it would be more than welcome, does anyone know if there are any type of groups or people etc in the liverpool area interested in astronomy?

thanks

James

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey James, I'm in Liverpool too. Infact I'm right in the town centre, and as you can imagine the light pollution can be pretty bad. Despite this, I've seen the rings of saturn, a half dozen binaries, two globular clusters, the beehive cluster, and the double cluster in perseus - all with an old Helios (Sky Watcher) 70mm refractor positioned on a balcony with restricted view.

The faint fuzzies arn't much to look at with this aperture, but my point is that using a 130mm reflector, with better optics, you ought to be able to see plenty of detail in a lot of interesting objects.

Welcome to the forum! (From another newcomer)

John

does anyone know if there are any type of groups or people etc in the liverpool area interested in astronomy?

I noticed that you 'chatted' to Brendan yesterday via the Liverpool A.S website. This is a very popular group of astronomers in the Liverpool area and well worth a visit.:headbang:

Hi James,

A very warm welcome to SGL. :)

You'll find loads of experienced folks willing to share tips and advice with anyone who asks. They're really friendly and happy to help us newbies out.

Remember it's said that the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask! ;)

There's also plenty of useful info to read all through the forum.

Hi James,

Welcome to SGL. As astoc said, the light pollution could be pretty bad where you are. I know it may be a long way to go but in the Ogwen Valley, Snowdonia, N Wales I have seen some absolutely stunning dark skies, with the Milky Way arching over head.

You could try these pages, for the planets every night... Planets To See In The Sky Tonight | astronomycentral.co.uk

Or the night sky each month...

The Night Sky This Month | astronomycentral.co.uk

Enjoy

• 1 year later...

Archived