Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Dob has landed

Moonshane

Hi all

I finally managed to get down to see Linton and collect my 'new' Orion Optics 12" dobsonian. I have been like a kid all week waiting for today and when I woke and saw snow covered streets in Cheshire I thought I would miss my chance for another weekend. The forecast suggested it would get better through the day so I took a chance and left at 7.30am.

Despite the 'severe weather warnings' and the foreboding at the petrol station telling me that someone had been to Crewe and had to turn back I pressed on.

Glad I did as after Birmingham it was pretty clear and nothing on the way back!

Linton had kindly given the scope a full test and sorted out a new four vane secondary etc. When I arrived it was in fine fettle and complete with an across the primary cooling fan and an excellent quality Vixen R&P focuser. This felt to me as smooth and solid as the Skywatcher Crayford on my refractor.

Obviously it's cloudy so cannot try it out but here's a pic of it ready in my dining room to go out to cool at the first opportunity.

It's surprisingly light and easy to move, just grab the rings and lift the scope. The quality of the OO base really shows - very smooth and solid.

I'll submit a first light report when I get a chance to use it in anger.

Cheers!

Shane

post-17776-133877428222_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Paul

I agree it's a challenge with a 12" dob and a wheelchair - what you need is a donut shaped stage about 2-3 feet high and three feet wide with a ramp and a rail round it! (oh, and a friendly builder/joiner who'll do it for free ;0)

you sound like you get great use from your kit though - as is often said, a used scope is a good scope :0)

• 2 months later...

Been using the dob for a few months now and thought I had better upload some better pics and show some of the mods that were on it or I have added later.

I love this scope.

When I got it, the previous owner had mounted it on a EQ mount but the seller provided it to me in a Orion Optics UK Dob base. This is an excellent quality unit, light and strong and infinitely durable. It has teflon pads in all the moving parts and is highly recommended. Linton also fitted an additional tube ring which provides more ballast for balancing but more importantly also prevents the tube from slipping when turned (not needed very often with a dob of course). It also had the adjustable tension brake which sometimes helps with balance too but I don't use this that much as it's better to get the scope balanced properly.

Already fitted was a Telrad and a DC cooling fan. This blew across the mirror and I understand this helps in more rapid cooling and also disrupts the 'boundary layer' which is close to the mirror and causes effects like distant heat haze, effectively creating a weak and poor quality lens in front of the mirror. With this disrupted, it means you get the most from your mirror. Importantly there are also holes in the tube around the same circumference which allow better airflow. There is a collar which is fitted which allows the holes to be blocked for storage.

The flocking was also already present but was loose in a few places and fitted badly around the focuser in particular - scissors and some PVA soon sorted that out. There were also little circles of black foam covering previous now unused holes.

Since I bought the scope, I have added a 'dob knob' which is a small ceramic door knob and makes it easier to move the scope about and track objects.

I have changed the primary wing nuts and added some M6 thread rod connectors - a bit more aesthetic - and made some http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/104153-shanes-knobs.html.

The small right angled finder and bracket have also been added. I plan to change this to a 8/9x50mm soon.

It gets a bit crowded up top :) but every item is really useful and recommended.

I think apart from the different finder, I am only now looking to change the focuser for a 10:1 Skywatcher Crayford - wrapped up and waiting for my wedding anniversary - 25/5! - and that will be it - my ultimate light bucket. A possible addition though is maybe a 9 point cell for the 12" mirror. Not sure if this is worth is though?? It's a £90 exchange so maybe it is, especially as I may even be buried in this OTA (although at 6'3" they'd have to cut my legs off at the knee and put them down the sides) :D

Here's some pics showing the various items I've waffled on about. hope it gives some ideas.

post-17776-133877448379_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877448385_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877448393_thumb.jpg

post-17776-1338774484_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877448405_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart

I am over at Stockport. You'd be welcome to take a look to gauge size and liftability if you wanted to. If you brought some of your current eyepieces you could also test them in a faster scope?

I like it and it's not cluttered at all just functional. What mirror do you have in there?

You're going to love the 10:1 focuser I have recently fitted a a Moonlite 10:1 to my dob and it is so smooth.

hi Chris

12" but not sure of the spec, but it was apparently the GPDX version which I think were 1/6th PV or better. The guy who had it before me (not the seller - he was just a 'middle man') was quite well off apparently and tended to buy the best spec available when he bought kit so I think it may even be better than this. it's got good coatings but I may eventually have them redone with HILUX and I think you then get a zygo in the price. whatever it is it looks good to me :D

Hi Stuart

I am over at Stockport. You'd be welcome to take a look to gauge size and liftability if you wanted to. If you brought some of your current eyepieces you could also test them in a faster scope?

Cheers Shane that's a very generous offer! Are you in the Bredbury/Woodley area by any chance?

Update on the mods. I have now replaced the focuser on the dob for a Skywatcher Dual Speed Crayford. Really lovely smooth focusing with the fine focus.

Not too bad a job but had to drill four new holes as the base plate of the new is wider than the old.

will also need to refix the Telrad - it just still squeezes in!

post-17776-133877451389_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877451394_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877451399_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877451404_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877451409_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Really nice scope. Just bought a ds crayford for my C6 without realising I would have a major cut and shut job to fit it. Might just buy an 8 or 10 inch dob to fit it to instead!

Archived