Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which planisphere?

Chris H

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got 2 versions of the Philips Planisphere, it works fine for me. I think the thing to look out for is that the latitude on it is correct for your location, although a quick glance at mine lists it as suitable for North Europe, North America and Canada (51.5 degrees North)

I have to say that I don't use mine any more - I find the Sky & Telescope Pocket Star Atlas at £9 FAR more useful than a Planisphere...

Seconded. I never touch my Planisphere these days, although for a newcomer the Planisphere does offer information on what is visible at different times of the year, and over the course of an evening. BUt you could also get this information from Stellarium.

I'd say get the Pocket Sky Atlas, and use Stellarium (or other free software) to see what is visible when.

I have to say that I don't use mine any more - I find the Sky & Telescope Pocket Star Atlas at £9 FAR more useful than a Planisphere...

I have the Sky & Telescope star atlas but I wanted a map which would represent the whole sky in an easy to use format I can then use the star atlas to zoom in on areas I wish to view. I've gone for the Phillip's one for UK latitude.

I have a firefly planisphere whic is useless under a red light but is quite large and detailed so good for planning - quicker and more flexible than computerised versions. You and also draw on your horizon. For use at night make sure you get one that is red light friendly.

... i have the David Chandler planisphere but as i recall, UK residents have a difficult time obtaining them.

Not any more :icon_eek:

FLO has just been appointed the UK retailer for David Chandler astronomy products, including their Night Sky Planisphere. Our first delivery should arrive January so we'll add them to our website and make an official announcement then.

Thank-you for the recommendation Carol :)

Not any more :D

FLO has just been appointed the UK retailer for David Chandler astronomy products, including their Night Sky Planisphere. Our first delivery should arrive January so we'll add them to our website and make an official announcement then.

Thank-you for the recommendation Carol :D

:) Way cool !! ;)

You're welcome Steve, i hope they send you a big enough supply of everything. :p

• 3 years later...

silly question but would i need the 51.5 degrees one? live in north yorkshire?

That is correct. I've also got the Philips one, and it's probably the best £5 I've spent on astro gear. IMHO a simple way to learn the night sky for any beginner.

Regards,

m12

I ordered the David Chandler planispere from FLO on tuesday night and it arrived this morning (thursday) with a free Moon Gazers Wheel, what great service! It seems to me to be an easy way to show a 7 year old the sky without the use of computer, telescope, mobile phone or other gadgetry.

P.S. I would have praised FLO in the reviews but this is my second post and yuo need 50 to do a review.

• 4 years later...
On 12/15/2009 at 09:29, jgs001 said:

I've got 2 versions of the Philips Planisphere, it works fine for me. I think the thing to look out for is that the latitude on it is correct for your location, although a quick glance at mine lists it as suitable for North Europe, North America and Canada (51.5 degrees North)

How do you find out which one is right for you? I live in rhondda 

1 hour ago, Stephen Swain said:

Hi Stephen, 

Tonyrefail is located at roughly 51* 35' 00.00" N , so the  51.5* Planisphere covers our latitude. Its the one I use and I'm located just up the Valley from you.

1 hour ago, Stephen Swain said:

There is only 2 planispheres on sale. One for the northern hemisphere and one for the Southern. You are in Wales (northern hemisphere), so the one for 51.5 degree north one is for you. They are so simple to use ans make sense when trying to find your way around the night sky. Dont bother with a glow in the dark one..................they are useless.

Im nearly 44 yrs old and i started observing at the age of 6 yrs old with the help of a Planisphere and a pair of 10x50 bins.

Archived