SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Amazingly clear night but....

Catanonia

Never seen a night so clear and cold (only started in May this year).

But and a massive nut.

The moon is like a massive spotlight making imaging almost impossible.

Got perfect guiding, all set perfectly, just the massive moon shining like a 1million watt nextdoor floodlight :icon_eek:

Grrrrr.....

I know - I was just reading in the moonlight! At least the thing I was reading was a guide to sights on the moon. It was so bright I just gave up trying to see anything else and did some crater scanning. Naked eye magnitude was only about 2.8 from my garden, so it was either that or waste this clear night, and there was no way I was going to do that after waiting so long for one!

Scope is setup in the garden, now going to bed. Alarm set for 4.30am and hopefully a cloudless, moonless and windless morning sky awaits me. Just under 2 hours of observing winter constellations before the dreaded 6.45 commute on the train to work.

Its a great night here in the midlands.

Due to the moonlight (extra bright perhaps as the moon nears perigee) I am limiting my sub length to just 20 mins.

You need a 7nm Ha filter mate :icon_eek:

Don't I just, going to pack away, never had subs so bad as tonight on a crystal clear night.

Its a great night here in the midlands.

Due to the moonlight (extra bright perhaps as the moon nears perigee) I am limiting my sub length to just 20 mins.

You need a 7nm Ha filter mate :icon_eek:

My thoughts exactly!

I need to set up the shed again so I can get the imaging kit out

Going back outside to practise my star hopping technique as I'm very rusty

Steve

I've got about 17gb of avi files from the moon last night, hopefully they are of decent quality and I can start putting a mosaic together this evening. I've not tried lunar imaging with the webcam before, and I certainly didn't go out with the plan of doing all that!

Archived