Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

22" Update

Ambermile

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's going to be one heck of a beast, maybe you will have started a trend for large scopes.

Looks a superb job, might just have to come and have a closer look when I am down in Norfolk next month, if thats OK Arthur?

naz :)

It's looking very heavy duty Arthur. Very nice indeed.

Heavy? It weighs less than my mate's 16" :Envy:

... might just have to come and have a closer look when I am down in Norfolk next month, if thats OK Arthur?

naz :)

No problem Naz - always nice to meet people at the workshop, phone number's on the website :)

Room in your backyard for a star party? :)

I can't even get this scope *into* my garden Steve, but the workshop is an excellent dark sky site :)

Arthur

"No problem Naz - always nice to meet people at the workshop, phone number's on the website Very Happy"

quote from Ambermile

Will do Arthur, sometime first week in august or towards the last, busy time running around the country, between Norfolk, Lancashire, Merseyside, Oxfordshire, Cheltenham, and back to Norfolk!

Look forward to meeting you and maybe some other members in the various parts of the country!

naz :D

• 1 month later...

Soooo - the continuing story. Got an email from Jim a couple of weeks ago. Mirror had astigmatism, basicly it had two focal points. This can be brought about by an uneven surface under the mirror when grinding. Best guess at that time was the mirror was maybe 3 waves (as opposed to 1/5 wave which was the target).

After much screaming, hairpulling and general despondency Jim said that after trying for a couple of days to polish out the problem he was going to have to go back to the final grinding stage. Cue more hairpulling and so on, but he was fairly relaxed - saying that he'd know within a couple of hours if it was going to work. Couple of days ago got another email - final grinding had indeed sorted the problem and everything in the garden was rosy. Time to get on with polishing.

Got an email this morning - startested last night in not perfect conditions and everything looks OK (his words "looks good no astigmatism and focussed well") so knowing the tolerances he works to and the skills of the man I am currently rather pleased... :wav:

Next job is to get the thing to the coaters for the aluminium and quartz. It looks like it actually may be ready for Kelling :cheers:

Arthur

Archived