NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Doing my 1000D Baader modification tonight

Catanonia

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well everything is now apart with screws taped to an instruction sheet so I know where they all go back.

Had a heart attack as I removed the old filter and thought I had scrapped the CMOS sensor with a scapel blade. Seems ok and cleaned up ok, but need to check the CMOS under a light to make sure I haven't done any damage.

Having a break now, before I put the new filter in and re-assemble.

Did you wear Cotton Gloves to ward off Acidy fingerprints.?;)

Ron.

using latex ones, but the filter got messed up with 1st attempt to clue it in place. Had to remove it, clean it up and try again :(

It is hard to get a good job on this.

I got mine from Costco, but if you google " Nitrile/Nitrex" and aim for health/hygiene suppliers you'll quickly come across them. They don't leave any marks, not powder coated, hands don't sweat inside them and they're far harder wearing and offer superior protection against chemicals /oils etc. I use them when decorating/working with chems or the car etc.

Call me Mad ! But I never wore any gloves while I was replacing the filter. I found it difficult holding a very thin flimsy piece of crystal glass with cotton glass. But however I did use a Anti Static Wrist Strap, some hand gel to keep my hands clean. Go to Maplins I buy yourself a Scapel kit w/ different fits, one thing it does include is a chisel type attachment, when seperating the cmos & the frame it is much easier. Also I took printouts of each section & taped each component I removed onto them, so I would not forget where they go back, also used the Ghonis Diagrams while I was dismantling the Camera. So Yes I do feel for you ;) . The most important tip of all.

When applying the adhesive back on the filter on each corner of the frame - I used a Tooth Pick, just smear some from the tube onto the tooth pick & slightly smear it on each corner of the frame, with the pointed end of the tooth pick trickle it around the frame - after applying the filter afterwards, then leave it to set for a couple of hours at least. I did accidentialy smear some of the frame adhesive onto the CMOS sensor, I got rid of that by applying something like Baader Wonderfluid Cleaner / Telescope Lens Cleaner fluid & a very fine Microfibre cloth, like spectacle cloth.

Nadeem...

Update :

On hold for now awaiting Baader wonder fluid from FLO to clean the new Baader filter that I got messy.

Other than that, seems to be progressing nicely now.

All in plastic take away cartons to keep the dust off whilst I wait.

BTW : I hate dust, so hard to eliminate....

Sometimes I wonder if I should have done it myself to save money, but reading this I'm glad I sent it off. Astronomiser gave very quick service and the job was done perfectly. I'm so glad I didn't have all that hassle and risk damaging the camera, which would have ended up much dearer...

You're a brave man! Best of luck with the re-assembly ;)

Andrew

Sometimes I wonder if I should have done it myself to save money, but reading this I'm glad I sent it off. Astronomiser gave very quick service and the job was done perfectly. I'm so glad I didn't have all that hassle and risk damaging the camera, which would have ended up much dearer...

You're a brave man! Best of luck with the re-assembly ;)

Andrew

Just keeping the lenses clear of dust and grime. I managed to get some of the sealant onto the baader lens and hence a bit of a job to do.

Update :

On hold for now awaiting Baader wonder fluid from FLO to clean the new Baader filter that I got messy.

Other than that, seems to be progressing nicely now.

All in plastic take away cartons to keep the dust off whilst I wait.

BTW : I hate dust, so hard to eliminate....

Sorry Catanonia but im not trying to be patronising, Dust - Another tip, Again from Maplins get yourself a Rubber hand Dust Blower (pm me if you want a pic), you can get one's with a brush at the end of it, but I don't like them just in case the hairs fall off.

Do you have any Anti-Static Bags lying around ? Use them to for your electronic components, then pack them into Plastic Containers.

Nadeem....

Sorry Catanonia but im not trying to be patronising, Dust - Another tip, Again from Maplins get yourself a Rubber hand Dust Blower (pm me if you want a pic), you can get one's with a brush at the end of it, but I don't like them just in case the hairs fall off.

Do you have any Anti-Static Bags lying around ? Use them to for your electronic components, then pack them into Plastic Containers.

Nadeem....

not at all, doing all of these in one way or another. ;)

Just made a mistake of getting sealant on the baader lens and tried to clean it, but got smears. Thought get some proper baader cleaner (will come in useful another day) and do the job properly instead of bodging it.

Archived