Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Doing my 1000D Baader modification tonight

Catanonia

From what I keep hearing Andy Ellis is the Man for Modding Canon's, but I did not fancy spending another £199 for a filter replacement, when I was confident that with some patience I could do it myself. But it's all upto the Individual.

Nadeem.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I keep hearing Andy Ellis is the Man for Modding Canon's, but I did not fancy spending another £199 for a filter replacement, when I was confident that with some patience I could do it myself. But it's all upto the Individual.

Nadeem.

Yes, £199 is almost what I paid for the camera ;)

Nadeem.

Your right Nedeem, patience and a steady hand, the mod itself is actually very simple, the hardest part for me was removing the existing filter, apart from that is undoing screws and popping ribbons. The 1000D needs no soldering.

Oh my.........

FLO are fantastic and defy all post office strikes.

Ordered the Baader Wonder Fluid and Micro Cloth yesterday at about 15:00 and it arrived today on my door step ;)

WOW......

And WOW again, this stuff is amazing. Within 2 mins I had cleared all the grease / smears from the Baader replacement filter :(

Later on today / tonight I will finish off the modification hopefully :p

Thanks FLO and Modern Astronomy for fantastic service :D

Well an improvised clean room can be had as follows:

1. Set up a well lit table in your bathroom.

2. Put your shower on at highest setting for 5 minutes (must generate lots of steam).

3. Let steam clear (make sure doors & windows are kept closed at this point).

After the steam has cleared you should have a pretty much airborne dust free room, any dust in the atmosphere would have attracted atomized water droplets during the steam process and will have fallen to the floor and held there.

I kid you not with this tip ;) There's a guy on the Yahoo DSLR atromod group who converts camera's for a living and swears he has never had dust or other contamination using this method :(

WOOOOHOOOOO

THE MODIFICATION IS DONE ;)

Eventually after 3 days the wifey gets her dining room table back, clear of screwdrivers, lights, cleaning clothes and camera parts as well as printouts etc

:(

Yes the EOS1000D has been modified to have a Baader replacement IR filter by me eventually.

Taking the DSLR apart was easy, screws and ribbon cables although it does help to have some pictures and a screw chart to tape the screws to and show you where they go when you put it all back together again.

The hardest part was the actual Baader filter replacement as you would expect. I got some sealant on the filter and then it went down hill. Trying to clean the filter whilst clued in was hard, so had to remove it carefully. IT IS A £56 worth of little glass and easily broken.

A MUST is to have some Baader Wonder cleaning fluid and a micro cloth as sticking in the filter with sealant and not making a mess is nearly impossible and you will mess up the glass with smears etc.

Dust was also another headache, but a strong lamp and a fine paint brush helped along with the micro cloth.

Patience, a work sheet with pictures, see here

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 450D IR Filter Removal Modification- Page 1 -Configuration & Preparation -by Gary Honis

and a matching screw sheet

Modification Screws Sheet by Gary Honis

(thanks Gary Honis for making this available)

are a must as well as more patience and the correct tools.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say everything other than the filter replacement is about a 3, but the filter replacement for a 1st timer such as me is about a 9.

So that is about £140 saved as to get this done would have been around £200 + postage of the DSLR. I got the filter from Modern Astonomy for about £62 delivered so hopefully a lot of money saved.

Camera all works, but I have no Canon lenses to test how much dust I have in the sensor area. I guess I will have to wait till I can take some flats on the scope and have a look.

So here is looking forward to 1st light with the new imaging DSLR.

Heads up for a fully modded Baader EOS350 body, 2 x batteries, walls power adapter for sale soon as the 1000D hopefully will be my new imager.

Cat

Cool, now point your scope & your 1000d to an emissions nebula rich in HA.

not expecting much different to the 350D other than more pixels and hopefully much longer exposures due to the outstanding reported 1000D noise over long exposure rating.

Plus sides over 350D is

a. more pixels

b. one cable USB instead of needing a shutter release for more than 30seconds (350D can't do more than 30s over USB)

c. Better noise on long exposures and amp glow that sometime hurts me over 5 mins

d. It is shiney and new :(

But all that lot is pointless with CLOUD...... ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGH !!! ;):D

Archived