Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BIG binos on the way!!!

GazOC

Cheers guys, they arrived today with a decent looking Horizon tripod. The whole step feels steady enough without exactly being rock solid but its also a lot lighter than I'd anticipated.

I've got a long week end off coming up so hopefully I'll be able to test them out over the next couple of days.

• 1 month later...

Don't these have build in filters? Wonder how those perform.

My 22x85 have threaded eyepieces but a filter placed before the eyepiece is not the right thing to do. I haven't tried it though, because i don't have 2 filters....

My 20X90 bins are fully multi-coated,broadband etc. I'm not sure if it is the larger apeture on them from my 10X50 bins but even in bright moonlight i can still pick out faint fuzzies. The only thing i can't/don't look at with them is the moon itself because it is painfully bright. I'd love to buy some kind of dual moon filter set up for them. Other then that i will have to make something myself that stops down the apeture to about 60-70mm.

I see you have the 8115 mount. How do you like it. How good holds the head the bino and what is the weight of the bino?

My 20X90 bins weigh in at 3.2 kilo. The Horizon 8115 can more then handle them. The tilt and pan is silky smooth.

When i was researching before buying both bins and tripod i was told that the MAX weight/apeture the 8115 can handle is 20X100.

The only problem i have had with the tripod is that they (the bins) tended to pivot left/right when i held them but i quickly worked that out as the screw on the central column not being as tight as it could be.

SOLID tripod. Cheapish. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Shortly after I got my 20x100s, comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin) appeared. It looked the same in the bins as it did in my 10" dob. Then a week later with a nearly full moon hanging about I found it again in the bins, very faint. I compared the view in an 8" dob this time but the bin view was better. That kind of gives an idea of what they can achieve.

My 20X90 bins weigh in at 3.2 kilo. The Horizon 8115 can more then handle them. The tilt and pan is silky smooth.

Mine weight 4.9 kg . I wonder if the head of the 8115 is good enough. Tripod seems no problem to me.

The Apollo's 22x85 are heavy. My Manfrotto 390b is a bit leight, it works though if not fully extended but i may need a sturdier tripod.

Mine weight 4.9 kg . I wonder if the head of the 8115 is good enough. Tripod seems no problem to me.

The Apollo's 22x85 are heavy. My Manfrotto 390b is a bit leight, it works though if not fully extended but i may need a sturdier tripod.

I think 4.9 kilos may push the 8115 above its comfort zone. But do quote me on that.

• 1 year later...

hello,

I am interested in a gian binocular like the 22X85 o similar.

I like the nebulae and star cluster ovservations, and I like knoe if it is OK for this, you have compared this giant bino with a short tube refractor for this purpouse?

Thank you very much,

Archived