Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm Hooked

salvadali

I had never really given much consideration to astronomy until my son recently took his gcse in it . It managed to stir my interest ........ then I found stargazerslounge ....... after reading lots of info on here I took the plunge and got my 1st scope , nothing fancy , a skywatcher 130 . I made the mistake of mentioning it at work and have had to endure the comment about anoraks and nerds and things. Anyway , I really don't care . I've just been outside and used the scope for the 1st time , its fantastic . Didn't try anything tricky but had a nice view of Jupiter and the moons and now I can't wait to explore more. Thanks to SGL , if it hadn't caught my imagination then I would never have bothered.;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you decided to join up with the SGL Astronomers.

We number in the thousands, so it is plain to see that Astronomy is very popular. Enjoy your new scope, and I hope your son continues to advance his learning on the subject. If you should require any help, then just ask.

Oh!, and just ignore the jibes from people, they are the ones missing out.;)

Ron.:)

Hi and welcome to SGL, Salvadali. ;) Want to go from 'nerd' to 'hero' at the speed of light? Invite those co-workers over and show them the Moon, Jupiter and a few really stunning DSOs... works every time. :) Have fun, and i wish you clear nights.

Woo hoo!

You've got the bug! ;)

Let your inner nerd blossom, without shame or apology!

You'll be discovering the mysteries of the universe whilst non-nerds are cooking their brains on soap operas and reality tv!:)

(Or else, you'll be moaning on the forum about the clouds whilst cooking your brains on soap operas and reality tv...:hello2:):):D

Welcome, fellow-explorer-person!

Welcome to SGL! I'm new to this too and also went for the SW 130, you may find the link below useful when it comes to polar aligning the scope and setting up correctly - it really helped me out a lot.

Setting Up an Equatorial Mount - McWiki

Best of luck, hope both you and your son enjoy your time under the stars. I can't think of a better way to spend time together!

Hi and welcome to the forum from me too.

I also have to endure the jibes from my work colleagues - I think I am now officially the office geek! But that's fine by me - I love the times I have with my scope and would put up with a lot worse. Each to their own...

Steph

I'd just like to say a big thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement .

Only thing is I just can't concentrate today ....... keep looking up at the clouds and praying for a clear sky tonight. I take it this is what my life is going to be like from now on.

Hi and welcome to the SGL, i'm new to this forum as well and just finding my way around. Nothing wrong with your scope, I had a 50mm Tasco refractor back in the seventies and it was limited but okay, it was all I could afford at the time.

Keith.

Archived