NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear weekend

cosmic dave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got 5.5 hours on M31, sky's went crystal and the seeing was really good after midnight.

Clouded out at 03.30am, feeling really crusty now only managed 5 hours sleep ;)

As usual mess office got it wrong for today, forecast was for unbroken sun and clear tonight, got 100% cloud cover so Im not banking on a repeat of last night :)

Yep, I'm a bit wrecked after a long night too! came in at 2:30 after a long session setting up and testing. It took me half an hour to warm back up before going to bed. I wish I was like TJ and could survive on a couple of hours sleep! I need at least 9 or I'v had it!

It was pretty clear though, which means it was a bit of a shame to not get any real astro done. But the setting up and testing effort will be worth it when it all finally comes together <must keep repeating that to myself ;)>

Helen

I'm all set for tonight, and so far the weather looks promising. I've not been out in ages so am very excited about the prospect of a good night's observing. Plus, I've got another couple of first-timers who want to come along, so it should be a special evening if the clouds stay away.

Without wanting to jinx things further, I've also gotten myself a basic imaging set-up and new moon filter. If I am extremely lucky I may even be able to take my very first astrophotograph!!

Good luck to everyone who plans on observing tonight, may your batteries last long, your clothes stay warm and your drinks stay chilled...or hot, if you're an old man like me and prefer to star gaze with a thermos of tea rather than something alcoholic!

Have just posted my review of last night. Complete with widefield photo showing shed loads of stars ;) Sorry to hear we didn't all get a good night last night. They are promising another clear night here, but they don't always keep their promises :) not looking too good at the moment. But I am full of chili and beer and have an unread copy of Astronomy Now on standby.

Archived