NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seen Galaxies

mdstuart

That's an impressive list Mark, and it was nice to meet you at Salisbury.

I'm afraid as an imager I'm more of a select, and push button type of observer at the moment. Maybe all that will change with my first dob which I am umming and ahhin about. I fancy the Orion Optics (USA) XX12 jobbie with full goto, or does that defeat the object of the dob?

All the best with number 200...

Iain

Didn't notice NGC 891 in Andromeda in there Mark. Discussed in thread 'NGC 891 and Stepan's Quintet' in Observing Reports. A bit of a challenge (but that's nothing new to you judging by your list) but with Andromeda rising earlier well worth a look.

Thanks for all the feedback...Yes most of the list is with my 10 inch scope. I have marked up all the galaxies I should be able to see on a mag 9 atlas. I think I will be able to get to about 350 based on the marked unseen galaxies.

Hmm why did 891 not come out maybe I have reached 200!!

Yes perhaps revisit M31...

Mark

Mark, you should be able to get more than that unless you're battling light pollution. I got the original Herschel 400 with the 8"SCT, and then made a pretty good dent in the second Herschel 400, too.

So.. have you determined if you've already observed 200 or not? If you merely forgot to log in 891, then you've got them. :)

Oh, er, well that beets my impressive 2 galaxies. That's very impresive with no goto, well done, but I can't help as you've probably got all the ones I could hope to see. Have you done the Whale and Hockey stick, don't know what sort of kit you need but it's one of my favorite astrophotos.

how many galaxies do you think i would be able to see with a 6" celestron sct scope ? i`m in the Nottingham subs so there is a little light pollution.

also whats the best size eyepiece to use on such a view ?

thought i`d seem Andromeda once but was not certain but would love to see more

Thats good going and good eyes Mark. Nice one ,it's also encouraging that you got them all with your 10" newt.

I'm stuck on M31 and M101 since I found them a couple of weeks ago....faint fuzzies are awe inspiring aren't they?.....

good hunting on No. 200 whatever it may be.

regards craig.

Archived