Deep field NGC7000/IC5070/IC5067

SteveL

Well, although forecasted as a clear night on Wednesday, the clouds did roll in every now and then... but in between them, the seeing was great, very still indeed. A bit blustery, so I swapped my OTA and target from Iris Nebula with the MakNewt to using the Borg 77ED@f/4.3 and the North America nebula and Pelican Nebula. I knew the cloud would cause some issues, and transparency wasnt as good as I would have liked, so I decided to image in Hydrogen Alpha. Looks like it was the right choice :)

Highlight of the evening - sitting in my moon chair on the lawn, leaning back and looking south, a incredibly bright meteor lit of the sky, with the trail it left behind glowing for 5-6 seconds. Not often you get lucky enough to be looking in the right place at the right time:)

"Whoah!" moment of the evening - PHD deciding that the strobe light from a passing aircraft was a better star to be guiding on than the real guide star. Yes, it did pass RIGHT through the FoV for the guide scope.

20090820_aircraft_tracking.gif

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + PHD

Imaging: M25C + MaximDL, 21x900s, Astronomik 13nm Ha (101 bias, 101 flats)

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: Registar+ ImagesPlus + PSCS2

(Click on image for the large version... its worth it for the finer detail!)

20090819_ngc7000_ha_wip2_800.jpg

I've just spent the last 10 mins immersed in this image Steve, it's fantastic. The areas of dark nebulosity are what do it for me, there is so much wispy wispiness to them, superb resolution. You've just persuaded me I can use my FSQ at F3.7 with my QHY8

Ooooh, just seen this, I see the Borg has worked its magic on the Ha again :)

I thought at first you had inverted the image :)

I think a few of us at the SP saw that meteor too, there was a round of "oooooooooo"'s from all over the field.

Thanks again to all who have commented.

Wow, just look at that guiding graph - mine isn't anything like as smooth :)

I think its the fact that the EQ6 only had the ED80 (guiding) plus the Borg 77 (imaging) on it meant that it was pretty solid and immune from any breeze. I also did three runs of PoleAlignMax to ensure I was aligned (less then 2 arcmins in both directions)

Longer subs next time I think....

Archived