Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perseids? Wot Perseids?

Jarndyce

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fingers crossed for Wed night, Amanda.

Mess Office predict clear skies... ...yeah right...

The moon lurks behind our house at this time of year, but the sky here seems unusually bright in the evenings, even to the north.

Better looking Tuesday night midnight untill dawn, if you wait until Wed night it will not be as good because they are trying to catch up with earth.

Mick.:)

As it stands right now, i'm supposed to be mostly clear for the peak night of the showers. Maybe luck will allow me to catch an earthgrazer before moonrise, but i'm not too hopeful of seeing the delicate meteors when Luna starts strutting her stuff.

But as the saying goes, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. :) I'll give the Perseids a few hours but if a washout is evident, my attention will be turned towards the Moon.. never a disappointment there. :)

I was out after midnight last night attempting to catch some Perseids. After an hour or so, I counted the grand total of, er, one! There was a bright moon which would cut down the visibility a fair bit, but one? A bit of a disappointment to say the least! Jupiter was nice though and I picked up some of the brighter DSO's so not a total waste of time :) Unfortunately, looks like total cloud cover for the next couple of nights.

I was nightshift last night (first clear skies in ages too) and on returning from a shout about 01:00 I stood out in the station yard for about half an hour and managed to see two Perseids :), although the moon was well risen by this time.

Im off for a couple of nights now so hopefully the clear night-time weather will continue and I can get the telescope out after what has seemed like weeks :).

It's sunny near Dudley at the moment. Just been overheating in the garden. No doubt the clouds will now roll in - they will need to be huge fireballs to be seen in the light pollution anyway!

Ok read another thread tomorrow morning looks good.

I saw 2 at around 10:15 this evening and one at 10:48 very bright but short starting in the top left of the Cassiopeia W and traveling vertically upwards.

Very nice.

Neil C

Having had a good few years of this shower they are very hit and miss. Most years are miss years as it has a nasty habit of being cloudy around the 12th. But on the odd clear year when the max was 10 or 4 we have seen some nice fireballs as opposed to lots of small stuff. On the other hand our best display of this stuff was on the wrong day with another much less rated shower when it was like a massive thunder storm without the thunder. (A lady up the road saw the flashes through her curtains and thought she had gone deaf as there was no crashing thunder.) That year the Beeb Sky at night said most observes reported nothing much so I guess the stuff is mostly pretty local.

So we expect nothing, get cloud (this year) but still will watch at odd times just in case we get another multi hour silent thunderstorm - or even the odd fireball. But nothing but cloud (and now rain) so far.

I was out last night and saw maybe 5 or 6 good Perseids with trails visible for a couple of seconds. The best time seemed to be from about 10 until 12, then it died down to nothing. Luckily the Moon was blocked by trees until almost 1am.

I was concentrating on getting my new Synscan working, so I'm sure I missed a few!

A great shame about the forecast but I'm remaining optimistic, with any luck some breaks in the cloud will coincide with some visible Perseids! I'm still travelling with some friends to my favourite dark site regardless.

Archived