Finally - New Observatory (and bits)

Paxo

Completed the new roll-off-roof observatory about 6 weeks ago, I've been waiting to post details until 1st light for a DSO object, but I've got fed up waiting so here goes.

The whole observatory is sat upon a 12" concrete plinth with a concrete 'root' under the pier of 3' cube, the two separated by a 'slip' joint to minimise vibration. For the obsy itself I opted for a 9'x6' internal structure, got a local shed manufacturer to build a base to 6' high (my horizons are aweful for light pollution so I have kept the sides high to hide the equipment from prying eyes), and built the roof and top frame myself to match.

Roof rides on 10 2" wheels, and it all rides suprisingly well, just needs a little extra push when starting to close. As you can see from the second phot, when the roof is completely retracted the end 3' a warm 'cupboard' (warm room sounds too grand) which houses the computer. When closed, the roof is held on by shackle bolts (thanks to advice from Helen). The whole obsy can be up and running in 10 mins.

Telescope is a 12" Meade LX200R sat on an AE Megawedge and pier. Large guiderings fitted to the LX allow for a guide or imaging camera ranging from an WO Megrez 72 to the FLT110.

Only managed to get a basic polar align done before the current wet spell,but managed to get a few moon shots about 5 or 6 weeks ago (previously posted).

Very happy with how this has turned out, got plenty of security on there to keep the local g**s at bay. Thanks for looking.

Steve..

post-13953-133877385496_thumb.jpg

post-13953-133877385501_thumb.jpg

post-13953-133877385505_thumb.jpg

post-13953-13387738551_thumb.jpg

In addition to the new observatory, I've been upgrading the ccd to a full frame SX-VR H36. Only wish I could get out and try this on something astronomical now. Placed a couple of clips to show the physical size of this thing (with a compulsary mug for size comparison), and a shot comparing the chip size to my Atik 314L. Hopefully post first light shots soon.

Steve..

post-13953-133877385521_thumb.jpg

post-13953-133877385529_thumb.jpg

A superb job Steve it looks very professional. It must be a great feeling knowing you are all setup for the coming season :)

Regards

Kevin

Looking forward to it Kevin with bated breath :)

Steve..

great work mate. I have the same high side design as I am surrounded with hedges and the house upto 20degrees from the horizion.

Looks much better than mine, will have to upgrade my design in a few years if it lasts that long :)

You must be straining at the leash Steve, a superb setup, and that camera is something else.

I thinke we are all waiting with bated breath for what's going to come out of that new Obs. Once you've fine tuned it all that is.

Ron.:)

Thanks everyone. Obviously, at f10 I really need to nail the polar alignment. I once had this telescope at 10 mins unguided accuracy, I've got PemPro ready to go to get the alignment nailed.

I've decided to name the obsy as 'Cherry Tree Observatory' after the trees on the field behind. The H36 has been bought to primarily work with my FLT110 on my portablr rig, but should (binned at 2x2) work adequately on the LX200 - time will tell.

Steve..

That look great Steve, just the job. You may well be getting an invite down to cambridgeshire for a beer and some advice when I finally get started on my Observatory :)

Cheers Jon

I'm often passing through Cambridgeshire so that may not be a bad suggestion :)

Steve

Archived