NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first 3 (pathetic) attempts at the moon

DAVPPK

They were taken with a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ and a Canon A470 (!!)...not exactly pro kit LOL :)

Ill do better later on :)

I like the 1st one, it has a nice terminator and some detail is visible; the 2nd is OK, and it ISNT a full moon, there is a small terminator in the top right hand edge; the 3rd is like the first (taken on the same night) but there is a hell of a lot of glare, and no surface detail is visible but the terminator is clearly visible!

Hope you like them, and as I said, it isnt pro kit, so they're not so good B) !!

Please feel free to vote /10, for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

My favourite is the first; what's yours??

Hope to hear from you guys soon!!

David

PS this was taken my my ex-scope, I've upgraded now ;) !!

post-16609-133877383964_thumb.jpg

MOON2.BMP

MOON3.BMP

You've done well for a first go. Number 1 is my fave, it's a little overexposed, but you've got some good details there. The second looks a little out of focus, but the lack of surface contrast isn't going to be helping your camera sort that one out. 3 is burnt out, but you do have some nice details along the terminator. Keep at it, and they'll get better.

btw, I've moved the thread over to imaging.

Don't feed yourself negative comments. Considering the type of camera you have used, the results are reasomably good.

The moon can be a difficult subject because of it's differing phase and therefore illumination. One day you will get a a DSLR with a proper TMount to attach to your scope, and have more control over the situations

In the meantime you can keep practising with what you have.

Some good images have been achieved with P&S Cameras.

Ron.

David,

These are a hundred times better than my first moon pics. At least you can recognise them as moon pics, mine were just large smudges.

Now all you need to do is go out and get some more images.

Practice make perfect (or there abouts).....

Good first shots David.

I have the Canon A570is. digicamera.

They are good little cameras for "Afocal" astro photography.

It's just a case of (like others have said) experimenting with different manual settings to get the most out of your camera.

I'm just a learner myself.

Stick at it - you will soon capture some great shots!

Best wishes,

philsail1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be too hard on yourself!

You managed to get photos which is hard to start with, there are so many things to take care of - the camera,mount, scope, focussing, alignment... its a hard thing to do. Keep at it and great things will come!

Now that I've said this I'll start my own thread with my latest Moon shot so you can comment on it.

Clear Dark and Steady Skies

Trull

The first one is excellent for a first timer.Cracking detail,just a tad overexposed.

The last one is way overexposed but is still way better than my first ever effort which resembled the sun.A good start.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're stuck with a fixed shutter speed, perhaps try various filters over your scope aperture to bring down the incoming light, trial and error sort of stuff, but that's what a lot of photomography is really. Try red, green and blue, than use these individual shots as layers to create the contrast and light levels you want.

Archived