SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hertfordshire Stargazing Newbie

Camkorn

Hello Follks!

I have always been interested in astronomy - mainly just from watching documentaries on the Discovery Channel. Last week I bought a book about the Universe (by Peter Cattermole and Stuart Clark) which I have been unable to put down since! I found this forum while looking for information on binoculars - think I would rather start with a decent pair of binoculars before investing money in a telescope! I am a total newbie and can see there is a lot to learn but I'm looking forward to seeing a planet already :-)

Clare.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL, Clare. :)

Our binocular forum is in the Observing zone, but there's much more than observation reports posted. SGL is graced with some very knowledgeable members who have written product reviews, and are very helpful regarding the purchase, use, and care of binos. If you haven't already done so, please pop in and have a look around. I'm sure you'll get some very sound advice on your purchase if you need help.

Hi Clare,

Binos did me for nigh on 25 years- a pair of 10x50s and the moon, that's where it began...

If anything I would probably counsel against buying a telescope until you know the sky quite well. It can be quite exacting at first, it's quite easy to become discouraged- though for every one person who says this you'll find another who takes the opposite view.

Hi Clare,

A warm welcome to SGL, a wise decision to start with binos, the addition of a good solid tripod as an extra to the camping chair, as well as a red torch and star charts could also be on your list of future acquisitions. What ever you do have fun and enjoy the forum.

John.

:) welcome to SGL Clare! Binoculars are a brilliant way to learn the sky. Brush up on your star-hopping skills and hunt down any fuzzies that are visible from your area (how's your light pollution?), there's also nothing better than simply lying on the grass with a star map and a red light torch!

You're in the right place for some honest and truly friendly help and advice.

Clear skies :headbang:

Welcome aboard Clare and good luck with your new hobby. Like many people, I feel a good pair of binoculars is worth much more than a "so so" telescope (even if the latter impresses your mates when they come round !)

Plenty of advice here and don't worry about the daft questions - we've all asked them many times !

Hi Clare & welcome to SGL

I'm a bit impatient, I jumped in with a telescope and skipped the binoculars.

The Moon and Saturn blew me away with my first telescope and now I have three telescopes :).

It can become a little bit addictive this Astronomy lark.

Paul

Hi Clare and welcome,

i still use my bins more than my scope as its so eay to just pop out for a look around,

have you downloaded stellarium yet as it will help in telling you whats in the sky,

regards ron.s.g

Archived