NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fingers slipping on focuser

Oops the rubber grips on my focuser have perished – As you can see from the picture - a strand of what remains is draped over. This is a Celestron Reflector (Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2) I was thinking perhaps some strips of bicycle handlebar tape unless, perhaps, some of you out there have any better ideas?

20240629_140816.jpg

That popular DIY store sells adhesive backed rubber on a tape reel, no way anything will slip off that surface it grips like something else. It may look grubby after a while though due to things sticking to it, easy to peel off and replace.

Or better yet, replace the knob with a knurled one.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2024 at 17:38, DaveL59 said:

self-amalgamating tape perhaps? It ain't sticky backed, just stretch it as you wind on a couple layers and over time the layers will merge/bond to each other. Handy for making cable joins water resistant too 🙂 

Thanks Dave, that gave me the thought that we have cohesive bandages (similar concept) knocking about - seems to have worked well, time will tell but a cheap patch if I need to redo as I only used about 20cm and that cut lengthwise did both knobs.

• Like 1