Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Disappointing first experience

Finally the cloud cover has disappeared and I could get my new shiny scope out for my first test run.

Obviously as a beginner it's all a bit overwhelming, so I have purchased Turn Left at Orion hoping that this would ease me into things. Have been reading up, Stellarium etc, etc

Either I'm extremely stupid or I'm doing something wrong.... I could not succesfully spot anything this evening, I'm sure the scope was lined up correctly , finderscope etc. Spent most of my time feeling frustrated that I couldn't get things going.

My only salvation this evening and only thing succesfully looked at through my scope was a full moon, which was amazing and saved my evening. Going to bed now after 3 hrs of frustration!!!!!:icon_rolleyes:

Is this normal evening for a beginner?

RTB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Moon is anywhere near full it washes out a lot of the objects completely. Most of the faint, diffuse objects just can't be seen, you're better off looking for small, bright objects like globular clusters and double stars rather than galaxies and nebulae.

Hello "RTB,"

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge Astronomy Forum!

Yes, I would say your first (enthusiastic) observing experience with a new scope is typical - plus you have been a bit unfortunate having a full Moon to contend with as well!

Only thing you can do is "give yourself a bit more time." Your've got a brilliant set up - Skywatcher 150PL and a copy of Turn Left at Orion.

When you get that clear Moonless night and start finding things, well, it's a magical experience!

Best wishes for clear nights,

phisail1

Best wishes

RTB,

It took me a little while to get used to the way the mount works. However, when you do get used to it, it makes moving N, E, S or W as described in Turn Left much easier. (W is where the stars drift to!)

I've got very light polluted skies and even without the moon, many of the fainter objects are really hard/can't be seen. As suggested have a go at some of the double stars - Castor was my first. Mizar and Alcor are nice and easy and if you can find Cor Carioli then Struve 1702 is due E.

Good luck!

Andrew

Oh - don't forget Saturn!

RTB I agree with the posts above. Wait till the full moon has gone and when it has try for some bigger objects such as M13 or M5.

Also double check if your finder is aligned as this is a must for finding objects.

RTB, there's also another approach.. the "wander aimlessly in awe"approach :icon_rolleyes: Instead of heaping expectations on one's self right from the beginning, enjoy the delights of chance discoveries and the joy of using Stellarium, et al, to identify them.

This approach is eminently suited to a Dob', but the bino's in combo with your EQ scope can achieve the same result.

It all adds up to experience, gathered this way or that way, over time... it's all a great banquet up there.. a smorgasbord.. not a set course menu ! ..let your own eye lead you to a nibble here a taste there.. Snack when you can ! it's not always possible to make a real meal of it ;):)

the only thing I would add to the above posts is that if you are finding things by starhopping and pointing your scope at them, my experience is that you need to point the scope lower than you would think - it might be because of atmospheric refraction.

Hi RTB,

I had lots of disappointing nights out early on (still have them now for that matter!) I didn't have much luck finding anything at all until I got one of these. Telrad. Really helped me tracking down targets...

Cheers

Jon

Hi RTB.

As the others have said having the very bright moon wont help. That and astronomical twilight isn't till after 11 oclock and add the light pollution. So the faint fuzzys are out for a couple of days.

Try Saturn. Its just under Leo and very bright. You can't miss it. After that, as has been mentioned, try a couple of doubles.

Before going out with your 'scope run Stellarium and make a short list of what you want to see, taking into consideration seeing conditions. Find the relevant pages in TLAO and bookmark them. I use those "sticky note" things for this. By the way I put the book in a large transparent platic bag with the relevant page opened.

Several years ago, when I bought my first "real" telescope I viewed Saturn my first night out and was hooked. Persevere and you will be too. It's all there waiting for you.

If all else fails maybe a "red dot finder" may help. It's more user friendly to "home in" on the fuzzies. If you have one as well as a normal finder on the 'scope it's easier to see exactly where the 'scope is pointing. Not usually where you think it is.

All the best.

Dave.

As others have already said not the best conditions for observing at the moment - you need a few bright WOW targets to get you going and to echo their thoughts... Saturn and M13 would probably be amongst the best at the moment. the moon will be better as it stars to wane as the full mooon can appear a bit "flat"...

Peter...

just to add my two pence worth. Make sure you are not going mad with the magnification. If you have a choice of eyepieces use the longest one first. Even at a 'mere' 20-30 times your field of view will be a lot smaller than a binocular.

Dennis

Yes this hobby of ours can be frustrating and if your expectations arnt to high, not to dissapointing. I was fortunate on my first night out, my mate and I veiwed Saturn on a moonless sky, WOW we were hooked.

I personaly can not get to grips with an optical finder :icon_rolleyes: so over the years have used many RED DOT FINDERS, very user friendly IMHO. But as rawhead (Jon) has mentioned the TELRAD was my major find of the decade. Along with the SKY SPOT books, I have been able to find almost anything up there.

The summer triangle will be apon us soon and as the Moon disappear's there will be many objects to get your juices flowing M13 for starters.

Keep at it, you will soon be hooked like the rest of us and trying to raise funds for that next ASTRO MUST HAVE

Hang in there. When I returned to observational astronomy 3 years ago after a long break, I too was a bit disappointed, but after a bit of perseverence (needed in my part of the country where clouds seem to be a semi-permanent fixture), I've been getting the hang of it again. Find your local astronomical society and join it. Like minds helps and encourages you - it did me anyway. This time of year is not the best anyway for faint fuzzies as the sky doesn't really get dark enough, especially in Scotland where I live where we generally have to give up serious observing between May and August except on the moon and planets.

Echoing what others have said. The nice bright moon doesn't help. Also make sure that the finder scope and the telescope are accurately aligned. A small difference will mean that what the finder says is in view will be outside of the field of viwew of the scope.

Again as I read start with the BIG eyepiece, you want to get the object in the field of view then centre it and then go up the magnification. Last time I used mine I started with the 32mm then the 20mm then the 6mm. Even with the 32mm the thing I wanted started out at the edge of the field of view.

Oh yes, please don't expect to see things that rival Hubble.

I think the moral to this wonderful hobby is be prepared to get really peeved off a lot, be it clouds, rain, snow, the full moon etc. The art is that when you get a good clear night with no or little moon to blow things away, then grab that time wisely.

When the night isnt great, use that same time to look through stellarium, teach yourself what will be up, keep an eye on the weather for future days, and if you see a clear one coming on move the days forward on stellarium to see what will be about and plan a few highlights.

The main crux is dont loose hope, dont let a couple of bad days ruin what is a lifelong learning hobby. There is always something to learn. Best of luck. Terry.

I think you are right, preparation is important and will make it all quicker and easier.

When I last used my little ETX I set it up outside in the afternoon, levelled it and aimed it more or less northwards. Then I unplugged it and left it until it got dark.:):icon_confused:

Then I plugged everything back in to the power and the alignment took just a few minutes. :D:D:D

During the time between the two I decided what I wanted to see so was ready. All went very well and easy. Have to do it again the next time.

RTB, be happy you found the moon. I am too a beginner and only have been able to find the moon and Saturn. And Alcor and Mizar. I don't know why everybody complains about the full moon. I find the moon absolutely fascinating in all it's fazes. There are so many things to discover. Turn left at orion has decent moon maps. Try to identify craters, mountains and seas. I find Saturn overrated ans the double stars ar ok but really only look like two dots close together. So enjoy the moon and try to take pictures. Quite cool.

I can only join in those who blame the moon! I don't bother with any visual observing (other than of the moon) when it is between gibbous and full. Also, if you enjoyed the full moon wait till you see it with some relief from 'lower' angled lighting. It will be fantastic.

The advice to keep to a very low power eyepiece is excellent. Having a preliminary scan with even very cheap 8 or 10 by 50 binoculars is also a help.

Also, how dark is your site? This is very important.

Olly

My site does have a bit of light pollution . I live on the outskirts of a small town in Co. Armagh and have the usual street lighting to cope with. I have located the darkest part of my garden where street lighting cannot be seen , however, I think my problems are coming from the mount system. Still coming to grips with the workings of the eq mount!!!

This will make you feel better. The first time we (Me & DrummerP) got our scope out we gave up & put it away - for years!! Now, we can't get enough of it. I'm a trawler - I find things with my bins then point the scope. I love it!! You'll get there. If you need any help, just shout, everyone here is happy to help I'm sure.

Claire

My own early beginings were tough and disappointing, a lot of hard work trying to set up an equatorial mount correctly, then trying to locate anything. I was contemplating getting an Alt-Az mount for point and shoot or whether to just pack it in when I managed to get Saturn in the eyepiece, it saved my night and got me hooked.

The only trouble was that it whizzed across the field of view so quickly i was having trouble keeping it in view. I would use a wide eypiece, 25-32mm and get it in place and by the time i'd whipped the EP out and plugged in a 5 or 9mm one it was gone.. Argh, so frustrating.

Thankfully i was able to get myself an EQ6Pro mount, and whilst i'm still learning how to master all of its uses, at least if I get something I want to look at in the eyepiece then the mount will track it pretty well even with a rough polar alignment.

Hang in there though, it will be worth it (That's what i tell myself anyway, lol)

Archived