Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Disappointing first experience

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Rubbertoebooks.

Everyone's advice is absolutely right.

I can think of two first experiences in my life that were disappointing first time round (and observing was one of them).

With both activities, I just plugged away and practised every opportunity I got.

Things soon perked up...

I thought I would never find any DSO's even with my GOTO. When you identify the search problems and get it right and find your first object.....a warm glow replaces the frustration. Beware though when you start finding things it lets in that expensive disease..aperture fever complicated with imaginitis.

Keep on going its worth it.

Good luck & clear skies

Like everyone else has said, don't be downhearted, My first night out with a scope was a good one, then again my expectations were initially low anyway, so I was very, very happy to discover polaris has got a mate :)

My first few sessions were Moon, mars and saturn based, most enjoyable. Don't let all the non-visual Astro Photographers put you off (I'm one too), your first few discoveries will be what you make of them :D

I was (and still am) awestruck on my first sighting of Saturn, just something eerily cool seeing something that far away with your own eyes just suspended there, especially if the moons are prominent.

The time of year is getting poor for much decent observing as has been mentioned, almost at permament twilight, but during this period you can use the brighter stars to hone your skills with pointing the scope, getting your goto accurate and identifying star patterns in Stellarium and of course using the observing and equipment sub-forums to gain experience and don't be afraid to ask what you feel is a stupid question, it's all part of the learning curve.

It would probably be to your advantage to read the stellarium manual and setup an FOV (Field of View) indicator for your telescope, it will place a circle around the centrie of the screen to indicate what you should be able to see in the telescope with a given eyepiece on screen in stellarium, this will help when zoomed in to recognise what you should and shouldn't be seeing.

Hi Rubbertoebooks, (where did that one come from?)

Don't give up, look at my first light experience.... and now hey! went out and got me an eq6 syntrek mount for my dob ota and there's loads of people here offering help and advice. From a complete novice at Christmas this year, I'm a more knowledgeable novice;) now. Aspiring to get on the POW just for the satisfaction. Keep at it... it's the best thing I've done in years. Thing is now I'm depressed with all the cloud cover and forecasted rain for the next week or so.:)

Regards

Keithp

Archived