Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FLO at Tele Vue 2024

What a lovely report, very heart-warming, and a nice photo. I think Sarah and I have bought about 25 items made by Tele Vue, and they've all been flawless, as far as I can recall.

My favourite Tele Vue item is tough. It's between the Tele Vue-60 telescope, which I've used for quite a few solar sessions in particular, and is so tiny and portable and made me no longer hate helical focusers, and the Ethos 21 mm eyepiece, which is admittedly not that tiny and portable! I'll go with the Ethos 21 mm. It's the eyepiece I use the most in my 10 inch dob, and sometimes it's the only eyepiece I use for the session, if I'm feeling lazy.

spacer.png

A solar h-alpha image captured with my beloved Tele Vue-60 and a less beloved Quark filter. This was taken on a manual mount, just letting the sun drift across the chip.

And my biggest Tele Vue regret is selling the 13 mm T6 Nagler, which was a cracking, small and light eyepiece. Sarah didn't take to it, alas, I think because she prefers longer eye relief, and is these days very happy with the Delos eyepieces, with their 20 mm eye relief, I think?

Orange County, Jaffa Cakes... Surely not a coincidence?

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 2

Awesome report. Would love to take a tour like that.

My proudest moment of reviewing scopes and other Astro equipment over the last 10+ years was receiving an email from Al Nagler asking if he could cite several passages from the review of the 21mm Ethos and the Delos eyepiece reviews on my site and include a link to the full review. I had a astro club meeting that evening and I couldn't stop smiling the whole meeting. Which was noticed more than once.

• Like 10

Lovely report of your visit. 

9 hours ago, FLO said:

Tele Vue will happily repair and restore a TV eyepiece or telescope, regardless of age. So if you accidentally damage yours, please get in touch with them or your supplier. 

This demonstrates their dedication to their products, and reinforces that Televue products are for life. Good enough reasons to buy from them. 🙂

• Like 6

This makes me want more TV items, my wallet will never forgive me!

Thank you FLO for posting this, in this image I see a group of great people beaming with passion for what they do, fantastic!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

It's nice to hear good things about such a great company, and I'm glad that they have stuck with their values all this time. Long may it continue. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

I've highly rated Tele Vue products for many, many years (and bored many on this forum with that no doubt 🙄).

I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting any of the TV team but it is good to see that they are such a motivated group of people maintaining high standards and setting the standards that others try to emulate.

Thanks for posting FLO's impressions after visiting the company and meeting the Tele Vue staff. Very encouraging 🙂 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sunshine said:

This makes me want more TV items ...

Ditto.

The Tele Vue 85 APO is winking at me, particularly after seeing Al use one to demonstrate the edge-to-edge sharpness of an eyepiece.

They have multiple ways of testing an eyepiece, including the usual optical resolution charts. But Al's favourite methods are less techie and more DIY. I.e., a row of ball bearings that, when illuminated with a high contrast light, provide pinpoint highlights across the field, enabling multiple airy discs to be observed. And shiny aluminium filings sprinkled and glued onto a black surface to simulate stars. 

I remember something else I should have included in my post: the Ethos was David's project, not Al's. David wanted to take the Tele Vue 'Spacewalk' philosophy ('ethos') to the next level with an even wider field. When David showed Al his initial drawings for a new Ethos eyepiece, Al said he thought the design might be too ambitious. But later, when progress was made and demonstrated to Al, he was impressed, and, together with one of their optical wizards, they finished the design and brought it to market. 

I'll add both of the above to my post. 

Steve 

• Like 8

I've had the pleasure of meeting with Al and David Nagler a few times and they stand out as equipment designers who know their trade.

You dont see many other designers or manufacturers attending star parties and actually 'standing by' their products.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FLO said:

....together with one of their optical wizards, they finished the design and brought it to market. 

I believe that would have been the late Paul Dellechiaie, who sadly passed away in June 2022. Paul worked with Tele Vue from 1985 until the time of his passing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/04/2024 at 15:49, John said:

I believe that would have been the late Paul Dellechiaie, who sadly passed away in June 2022. Paul worked with Tele Vue from 1985 until the time of his passing.

Yes, Paul. I remember now. I will add his name to my post. Thank you 🙂 

I am over most of my jet lag, so have remembered something else from the visit. I won't add this to the post because it is sad. Al took me aside and showed me a wall displaying his optical patent certificates. He was understandably proud but concluded the conversation by saying we don't file patents anymore because people copy the designs anyway, and the info in a patent only makes it easier for them to do so. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, John said:

I've highly rated Tele Vue products for many, many years (and bored many on this forum with that no doubt 🙄).

You are well known for your fondness for Tele Vue eyepieces. I'll share this with you without mentioning a name (if you guess who, please don't say it). Some time ago, someone asked if I knew somebody at SGL who would review a new eyepiece series. Before I could answer, he added, "But not John. He compares everything with his Tele Vues, and that is a very high bar".  

Steve

• Haha 3

Super visit and report 

I am a late adopter of Tele Vue eyepieces, but have developed a particular liking of the Ethos series as well as the Nayglers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Super visit and report 

I am a late adopter of Tele Vue eyepieces, but have developed a particular liking of the Ethos series as well as the Nayglers 

"Nayglers"? 😂

2024-04-2517_01_03.png.0edc13e8f93a358a32041c1ade149223.png

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

"Nayglers"? 😂

2024-04-2517_01_03.png.0edc13e8f93a358a32041c1ade149223.png

Mike see the first post and you will see why it’s been written this way, might make you feel a bit of an ass…. I did say ass 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Mike see the first post and you will see why it’s been written this way, might make you feel a bit of an ass…. I did say ass 😉

Well that's nothing fresh! 🐎

• Haha 1

A long time ago I bought a damaged TV Genesis, taking a risk. After checking the time zones, I rang them for advice. Within 30 seconds I was talking to a friendly optical engineer who told me what to do to fix the scope. The instructions were clear and the result was perfect.

Don't expect to hear a bad word about TeleVue from me....

Olly

• Like 5