Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

I also used the midpoint between Regulus and Algieba as direction pointer for azimuth, then directly down. I had unobstructed view from about 3 degrees upwards, clear but hazy. Lots of airplanes but no comet. Oh well, we just have to wait another 10 days until it shows up in the evening.

• Like 1

This 135mm lens photo should give an idea of how difficult the comet was to pick out from the twilight at this latitude in mid Cornwall. As posted above, I couldn’t do so visually via 7 x 50s.

Regards, Mike.

Tsuchinshan-ATLAS A3.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
Added lens focal length
  • Like 8

Caught a nice view before sunrise from 28°N in Fuerteventura, approx 0635. Not quite naked eye but very obvious in binoculars with a pronounced tail. Thought I'd take a snap too 😊

20241004_070223.thumb.jpg.4c5c279ae9b2d278d29b172586ed34d6.jpg

• Like 9

On 20/04/2024 at 23:46, scotty1 said:

Hale-Bopp C/1995 O1 during 1997 was amazing , was lucky to be around for that one. Before Hale-Bopp I hadn't seen a Comet. I can't remember Comet West in 1976, i may of seen it by chance...

More info on Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/comet-c-2023-a3-tsuchinshan-atlas

Hyakutake is a naked eye comet early 1995 that is hardly mentioned although it was a lot fainter than Hale Bopp it was a appetizer for Hale Bopp the following year,as there was a distinct lack of bright comets since the 70's.

Hyakutake was very interesting with a wierd layered nucleus as seen through a 6" Newt.  The strangest comet I've ever seen was Holmes which was a faint naked eye binocular comet in the Autumn of 2007 .It was a large puffball slow moving in Perseus.  It was far away and very large(even bigger than the Sun).😮

As for pure splendour I'm lucky enough to have seen(all to briefly) the wonderful Comet Mc Naught in January 2007 low on the south west after sunset its long tail upright and magnitude -4 nucleus.😎

• Like 2

Tomorrow 10th October we have a forecast for clear sky in the evening. The comet will be 6 degrees above the horizon at sunset at 6:20. It's expected to be still of negative magnitude. I'll give it another try with binoculars. 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Tomorrow 10th October we have a forecast for clear sky in the evening. The comet will be 6 degrees above the horizon at sunset at 6:20. It's expected to be still of negative magnitude. I'll give it another try with binoculars. 

Did you have any luck or success?

• Like 1

I had a serious look for the comet this evening, as it should be in view by now.

This evening, its altitude would be about 2 degree higher than Venus and about 28 degrees from it, so I knew precisely where to look, using Venus as a guide. I took this 1/3 second exposure and stretched it to the extreme, but no sign.

Perhaps it's become really diffuse after its encounter with the sun?

A pretty sunset though.

54059962934_aa8ac8f0fc_h.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

Was lucky enough to spot the comet just now for around five minutes, starting 19h10min CEST with the APM MS 16x70 ED binoculars. After a cloudy day, the sky was clearing up, but with cloud banks to the W, hiding the comet, when I started to scan the sky. My trusty old compass, remnant of sailing years, gave me the exact azimuth, taken from SkySafari. It was the beginning of nautical dusk (19h13min), when I located the comet. It's head was conspicuous, clearly elongated. The size and magnitude were very difficult to estimate, due to clouds and twilight, but I'd say, that the brightness was at least 0 mag, or better. Coma diameter maybe around 10-15 arc min. No tail visible. I missed to look at it naked eye; and when I swapped the binos against the 80/400 frac, the comet was no longer visible; probably hiding behind thin clouds. Ten minutes later, it would have disappeared behind the tree line, anyway. Glad, that I took the chance despite the mostly cloudy skies - the weather forecast for the next days here in SW Germany isn't promising at all.

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 12

I did have a look for the comet label dt night whilst walking the dog but as I didn't have any binoculars I thought it would be a long shot and the low cloud/twilight proved to be too much of an obstacle. I will take the binos out tonight tho. 

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

On 10/10/2024 at 19:00, Nik271 said:

I looked for 20 minutes with binoculars, from 6:10 to 6:30pm, did not see anything 🙁

Its said that negative results are just as important than positive ones-probably first coined by someone that couldn't see anything!😝

I tried on the evening of the 10th scanning with 7X50's and a bit disappointed not to have seen it despite it being at magnitude -2 at the time. However the auroral display a few hours later made up for it. Forecast is hopefull for this evening so have high hopes,though according to Heavens Above it is now down to magniude -1.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, lukebl said:

I had a serious look for the comet this evening, as it should be in view by now.

This evening, its altitude would be about 2 degree higher than Venus and about 28 degrees from it, so I knew precisely where to look, using Venus as a guide. I took this 1/3 second exposure and stretched it to the extreme, but no sign.

Perhaps it's become really diffuse after its encounter with the sun?

A pretty sunset though.

54059962934_aa8ac8f0fc_h.jpg

Have you tried a histogram view just in case there's something there ?

It's a pretty wide and amazing fov

1 hour ago, Les Ewan said:

Its said that negative results are just as important than positive ones-probably first coined by someone that couldn't see anything!😝

I tried on the evening of the 10th scanning with 7X50's and a bit disappointed not to have seen it despite it being at magnitude -2 at the time. However the auroral display a few hours later made up for it. Forecast is hopefull for this evening so have high hopes,though according to Heavens Above it is now down to magniude -1.

I need it to last 4 more days and to get clear skies:(

Looks like I choose the wrong week to give up comet hunting ;(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like others, I’m waiting for my first chance to see the comet in the evening sky.

Frustratingly, it’s crystal clear here at the moment (4:30pm), with superb visibility and not a cloud in the sky. However, the Sun doesn’t set for 2 hours and the weather radar shows cloud moving in at 5:30pm.

Good luck to all potential A3 spotters! Mike.

• Like 1

Was out last night at a good location with a clear western view, but even with binos no joy, although Venus was easy to spot. Hoping to try again later on today at sunset in same location. Fingers crossed clouds don’t spoil the chance. 

See your in Cornwall. I was at Mawnan Smith for the 1999 total eclipse and it was sunny the day before and sunny the day after and clouded out during the event. Still bitter.🤬

10 minutes ago, mcrowle said:

Like others, I’m waiting for my first chance to see the comet in the evening sky.

Frustratingly, it’s crystal clear here at the moment (4:30pm), with superb visibility and not a cloud in the sky. However, the Sun doesn’t set for 2 hours and the weather radar shows cloud moving in at 5:30pm.

Good luck to all potential A3 spotters! Mike.

5 minutes ago, Les Ewan said:

See your in Cornwall. I was at Mawnan Smith for the 1999 total eclipse and it was sunny the day before and sunny the day after and clouded out during the event. Still bitter.🤬

Yes, I remember it well. I was in my garden, so at least hadn’t travelled, and was clouded out for the duration!

Regards, Mike.

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I need it to last 4 more days and to get clear skies:(

Looks like I choose the wrong week to give up comet hunting ;(

As long as you don't eventually jump out of a closed window! Having said that some of the frustrations of obsevational astronomy its a wonder it doesn't happen!😵

• Confused 1

I’m out right now and I can see it! Looks as though it’s still bright and with signs of the tail, but a bit lost in the glare.

Well chuffed!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Muc said:

Were you able to see it naked eye?

Yes, just about. I reckon it must be about mag 0 or -1.

Should be good when it moves away from the horizon glow.

• Like 2

First sight of the comet after perihelion. 18h58 with binoculars 8x42, mag -0.5 coma (I am rusty at this type of estimation). It took me 20min to find it lost in the sunset glare. 19h First sight with averted vision naked eye. First as a circular smudge. It seems fainter than I expected but I think it was due to the bright sky. As the skies beguined  darkening the tail was visible first with a binoculars 8x42 and averted vision . Around 19h15 I estimate the tail size to be around 30" +/-5". It will be a great show during the next few days.

Edited by Scosmico
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1