Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

A catchy name for what could be a great comet.  Predicted and on track to be better than mag 0 with a boost after perihelion due to forward scattering making the core daylight visible.  Best from the southern hemisphere in September before dawn and northern hemishere in October after sunset.  May have a big bright tail making it awesome for photos.  Watch this space.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hale-Bopp C/1995 O1 during 1997 was amazing , was lucky to be around for that one. Before Hale-Bopp I hadn't seen a Comet. I can't remember Comet West in 1976, i may of seen it by chance...

More info on Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/comet-c-2023-a3-tsuchinshan-atlas

Edited by scotty1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scotty1 said:

Hale-Bopp C/1995 O1 during 1997 was amazing , was lucky to be around for that one. Before Hale-Bopp I hadn't seen a Comet. I can't remember Comet West in 1976, i may of seen it by chance...

More info on Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/comet-c-2023-a3-tsuchinshan-atlas

Hale-Bopp is the only comet that I’ve seen naked eye. I wasn’t into astronomy back then, but even in a light polluted areas it was clear, with a tail, like drawings and paintings of comets I’d seen. You couldn’t miss it. 

• Like 1

Lets keep our fingers x'ed for this one.

Big 'if'  though, will it make it round the sun in one piece ?

A lot of these promising comets that the media like to hype up often end up in bits before we get to see them.

I should have a new camera by then as well   (Perihelion is September 28) 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Hale-Bopp is the only comet that I’ve seen naked eye. I wasn’t into astronomy back then, but even in a light polluted areas it was clear, with a tail, like drawings and paintings of comets I’d seen. You couldn’t miss it. 

So far I can remember Comet Wirtanen as just naked eye visible. Neowise was clearly visible by eye, and I could just about see 12P Pons- Brooks at the end of March. 

Comets are fascinating and scary too. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 10:03, Taman said:

I've just seen an image on Astrobin, it already has a nice tail.

That's a strong tail for a comet so far out.  Very promising.  I just happen to be in South Africa in September when it should be naked eye visible and have booked my flight seat so I can see it from altitude.  I have a good feeling about this one.  Lots still to find out.  What colour will it be?  Will it be twin tailed?  If the projection in Stellarium is anywhere near accurate, it's going to be an amazing sight.

• Like 1