Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus with northern polar hood and five moons (05/03/24)

Kon

I had another bash on Uranus and I managed a decent image despite ongoing collimation issues (I am not happy yet). Uranus with its five moons and norther polar hood. Captured with IR 742 filter and false coloured. Skywatcher 300P (12") Flextube Goto, asi462mm, IR pass 742, 2.5x televue powermate. This is a 10min capture and stacked the best 25%.

image.png.3aa911b3e28e3eb68214362c8ac77231.png image.png.8fa8e70cb516e23d5db7a6edaad6f931.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Excellent captured and processing. The Moons have come out really well, what was the method used to expose the Moons. Some sort of layering technique?

Thanks Pete. Yes the moons were added as another layer; they are from the same capture and popped by stretching the image.

• Like 2

Excellent image Kostas. I will have to try Uranus myself before it's gone. How do you add the colour when using a mono camera? I guess that's going to be another thing to learn. I recently acquired a 462MC so I'm now wondering whether it's worthwhile adding the mono version for IR filter captures. The collimation doesn't look that far off in this image.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Excellent image Kostas. I will have to try Uranus myself before it's gone. How do you add the colour when using a mono camera? I guess that's going to be another thing to learn. I recently acquired a 462MC so I'm now wondering whether it's worthwhile adding the mono version for IR filter captures. The collimation doesn't look that far off in this image.

Thanks Ian. Yes give it a try; I captured this one jsut after sunset, it does not need to be dark as long as you can find it. I love my 462; I have both the c and m versions. Both are excellent in IR sensitivity so you can use your c for IR captures. The only reason I bought the m was for Venus due to its sensitivity in UV. I used the m last night as it already had the filter on it. Your c with an IR pass filter is effectively becoming mono.

I added the colour in Gimp (or whatever software you use for editing) by colourising the planet layer only. 

Regarding collimation, the moons are not perfect and you can see why I keep pushing to get it to work, but I found the problem and resolved it, most likely pinched optics (see my other long thread).

Edited by Kon
  • Thanks 1