NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sirius B - who's seen it?

Several times over the last 11 years of retirement to my village home in a Bortle 4  area of Cambridgeshire. 

First time was with Andromeda my 5" F15 refractor and subsequently  with my APM ED 152mm refractor.  Each time the seeing was excellent, maybe 7- 8 on the Pickering scale.

I remember  well the first time because I was conversing with Dave (F15Rules) on SGL , and he was seeing it at the same time with his FS128 . 

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have picked it up once with my Celestron C8, using a red filter to punch through the rather lively seeing. Even then it was difficult to spot, as a more-or-less constant bright dot in the sparkling mess surrounding Sirius A.

Hi Michael, 

A red filter. Interesting. I've not heard of that approach before. 

Lots of times over the past decade or so. Starting out with a 12 inch dob and gradually working my way down, eventually, to being able to see it under really good conditions with my 100mm refractor. No filters or occulting bars although I have tried them from time to time. Just steady seeing.

I find around 200x - 250x is the optimum magnification. Eyepieces / optics with low levels of light scatter preferred. 

It's a good time now because the separation is about as much as it gets - around 11 arc seconds. The secondary star is still usually immersed in the glare from the primary though and that's the trick - spotting the "Pup" amongst Sirius A's halo of light.

• Like 4

Yep, with a few scopes including my LZOS 130 f9.2 and the LZOS 115 f/7.  It has been getting "easier" over the last few years as the secondary reaches max separation from the primary.  20 years ago it was quite a bit harder and will be again in 20 years so grab the pup while you can!  I think on night of exceptional seeing it should be possible with 100mm.

• Like 2

I first saw it about a year ago (maybe two, I’ll have to look it up as I recall last year’s Orion season was mostly poor weather) with my 12” newt. And then again a few weeks ago with my 140mm Stellarvue refractor.

Magnus

• Like 1

If Rigels other half looks ok, i'll have a go at Sirius, but no joy for me i'm afraid tracking down the elusive pup.

I'm afraid this observers 56 year old eyes and home at 53ºN are working against me.

And maybe i never get lucky enough with really steady seeing......😕

Its fun chasing it though.

• Like 2

Going off slightly at a tangent, i've often read about the Takahashi FOA-60Q F/15's double star prowess.

Now if only they made it in a bigger aperture, maybe you'd be in the ballpark of actually being able to bag it consistently. But i'm guessing 60mm of aperture is much too small ?

The one and only time that I've seen it was with my 30" Newtonian back in 1986.  It was in twilight so Sirius was dimmed but not too light to lose the Pup.  The Pup must be getting either a wider separation or getting brighter as telescopes down to a 4" seem to make it available under good conditions.  How long before someone spots it naked eye?     🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I've seen it a few times with the 4". Usually the problem is seeing conditions here that low down.

I suspect that folks who observe in more southerly latitudes wonder what all the fuss is about !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I suspect that folks who observe in more southerly latitudes wonder what all the fuss is about !

They have no idea where 'twinkle, twinkle, little star' comes from :biggrin: Sometimes here looking at Sirius you'd think the scope was a kaleidoscope instead of a telescope!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The one and only time that I've seen it was with my 30" Newtonian back in 1986.  It was in twilight so Sirius was dimmed but not too light to lose the Pup.  The Pup must be getting either a wider separation or getting brighter as telescopes down to a 4" seem to make it available under good conditions.  How long before someone spots it naked eye?     🙂 

I remember seeing it in a 27.5cm Mak-Cas (which I believe you made) in the very early 80's.  The orbital period (50.1 years) is such that it was about as wide then as it is now.

• Like 4

I’ve yet to see in in over 20 years with a very wide variety of scopes! Hopefully at some point I will, in theory either the FS128 or 8” f8 should do the trick, but perhaps it’s just my eyes! ☹️

• Like 5

Tried many times, seen it just once. In 14" dob, with 160mm aperture mask and 4mm ep, so 400x. Spent ages repeatedly watching it zip across the field of view, convinced that it would be easier next time. That's was around 4 years ago, and I haven't seen it since!!!

Don't know about twinkling, most nights Sirius looks like a glitter ball in a dodgy disco!

• Like 2

I’ve spent hours and hours trying this particular target but I’m not convinced I’ve seen a definitive secondary. Possible sightings in the correct location were likely scatter or reflection artefact. Who knows, I might’ve glimpsed it unwittingly just through sheer time spent on the target without realising. 

Addition of a new 5” APO and March’s lighter evening skies may give me the best chances for this season. 

• Like 3