NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sirius B - who's seen it?

22 hours ago, John said:

What is the NSEW orientation of the image ?

The chart that @Mr Spock has posted above shows where it is - NE of Sirius A.

More often than not the Pup is shining through the halo of light surrounding Sirius A.

Yes it was back to front I.e NW, I tried again tonight with the phone and the camera can add in reflection artefact; so it almost certainly wasn’t the pup. I’m sure my perseverance will pay off one day though!

• Like 1

I've been trying for decades with reflectors of 6" to 16" and its always eluded me. Here in Central Scotland the maximum altitude of Sirius is only 17 degrees.

Theres a lady Youtuber in California at  lat 37N who sees it frequently with a 80mm short focus refractor ,so as your latitude gets less the chances of seeing the pup increases.

• Like 2

Can you actually see Antares from Scotland ?

That's a challenging double as well. I've done it a couple of times from down here in the SW UK, as it flits between local houses !

• Like 1

Yes here in Midlothian Antares is visible but it skirts the horizon by a mere 7 degrees. Fomalhaut is the real challenge but I often see this autumn visiter low down at a maximum of 4 degrees at best.

I'm at its northern limit as Fomalhaut never rises north of Lewick.

• Like 1