Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What draws you to SGL?

The60mmKid

Just now, Alan White said:

I was drawn as I at the time did not want to join a club....
I met friendly folks online, I asked stupid questions and got mainly sensible answers back 😉

So, no change then Al....🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For me, it’s been a place to learn and share my successes and failures. There’s such a wealth of knowledge to draw on. I find the observing reports a great source of inspiration for targets to observe. There’s lots of great humour on here too which only adds to the lovely atmosphere. Big credit to the moderators who play no small part in maintaining that vibe on the forums. 

• Like 16

The best place on the internet for discussion related to the hobby i would say. I dont actually recall a case where a question or issue i had with kit or something else was not resolved, or an answer could not be found.

I never planned on posting frequently when i joined (no idea where that post count came from!), it just kind of happened. Safe to say i like it here.

Also want to say that i greatly appreciate the likes of @vlaiv and everyone else who offer their detailed explanations of even the most obscure subjects in discussion here, and for free! Almost everything i know of astrophotography was learned here, tip of the hat for everyone who fuels the learning by posting here.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I can’t for the life of me remember how I found SGL some 10 years ago but I’m glad I did, the advice I received on making some serious spend on an initial set up was literally invaluable.

I think it says something about SGL that this  is the only bit of social media that I engage with. The knowledge, the good natured humour and the respect shown to all users is a refreshing antidote to all that is mad and bad on the internet.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, tomato said:

I can’t for the life of me remember how I found SGL some 10 years ago but I’m glad I did, the advice I received on making some serious spend on an initial set up was literally invaluable.

I think it says something about SGL that this  is the only bit of social media that I engage with. The knowledge, the good natured humour and the respect shown to all users is a refreshing antidote to all that is mad and bad on the internet.

Well said...:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Cloud cover! 🤣🤣🤣

👍 If only I spent cloudy evenings cleaning my apartment or reading books or something... I'd have a clean apartment and a better mind 😢 So, upon further thought, SGL might be the problem 😦

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

One of the main reasons I am not a member over there. Incredible depth of knowledge, but far too much emotion in many threads.

After being a member for several years, I've come to the belief that a fair number of posters on CN are cranky old goats who derive joy from arguing for the sake of arguing.  My ignore list is probably forty members long now.  (Maybe that makes *me* a grumpy old goat. 😀)  I agree there's a lot of knowledge though, so I do sift through forums from time to time for technical info.

Anyway, I find SGL to be quite informative with civil discussions even when disagreements arise.

• Like 7

Great advice, friendly, like-minded people and most importantly, the vast majority are capable of saying "sorry, I was wrong". I've been wrong enough times to appreciate that! 😜

It's my go-to place (sorry!) for all things astro related. Certain other sites leave me cold.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, jjohnson3803 said:

After being a member for several years, I've come to the belief that a fair number of posters on CN are cranky old goats who derive joy from arguing for the sake of arguing.  My ignore list is probably forty members long now.  (Maybe that makes *me* a grumpy old goat. 😀)  I agree there's a lot of knowledge though, so I do sift through forums from time to time for technical info.

Anyway, I find SGL to be quite informative with civil discussions even when disagreements arise.

I consider the animosity on CN one of the enjoyable features. It's like WWE (another fine US export) for backyard astronomers. Just pour some roasted pumpkin seeds into a bowl and crack open a kombucha and you've got the evening's entertainment covered.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

While we're on the CN-bashing wagon: one of the things that drive me away from there for months at a time is the attitude and actions of some of the CN moderators. They appear to be jobs-worth sticklers for the letter of the rules with no imagination or flexibility. Some mods are good people and I know that they are also dismayed by the actions of some of their colleagues.

What is very different about SGL is that the mods are almost always invisible, except when asked for assistance --- when help is usually prompt and plentiful.

In general, I participate in SGL because it feels like a friendly club. Somewhere to learn from others, to help others to learn, to see what others are doing and to boast about ones own achievements, and just to gossip on occasion.

Paul (yet another one. We seem to have a Paul infestation in these parts and may have to start putting down traps.)

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mr Spock said:

I'm here for the free Jaffa Cakes :wink2:

That brings back distant memories.

You weren't a member of OUAS were you? Jaffa Cakes were a society tradition.

I joined SGL about 2 and a half years ago when I rekindled my love of astronomy. I had no idea which one to join as it was a toss up between CN or SGL. Thankfully I made the correct choice. I was wary of posting at first as I had received a couple of snarky replies when asking questions on CN. I was really pleased to see and feel a completely different atmosphere here and I felt at ease posting and asking questions. Now it feels like dropping into the pub to check in with my astro teammates.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 13

I like SGL because I everyone tends to chip in a bit when someone wants an opinion, but will normally let their bias be known.  It feels more like a discussion than an argument.

I think there a few people on here who have observing skills I aspire to or approaches that I think align with my own so I generally know the answer will be correct when I read their advice.

It's not so much a "this is the best way to observe" and more "I observe this way and find it enjoyable".

Watch your wallet though.  More than once I've read some posts on here and woken up in the morning a couple hundred pounds lighter.  

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 11
  • Haha 5

I think the reason SGL is the amazing forum that it is, is because everyone involved has a genuine love of stargazing and the sites sponsors, FLO, are the best and most successful astro suppliers in the country for the exact same reason.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Franklin said:

I think the reason SGL is the amazing forum that it is, is because everyone involved has a genuine love of stargazing and the sites sponsors, FLO, are the best and most successful astro suppliers in the country for the exact same reason.

Great point. FLO is unflaggingly wonderful. On a few occasions, I tried dealing with a different astronomy supplier that sponsors a different astronomy forum. They got irritated with me because I asked about Takahashi telescopes for visual observing! The vexed rep explained to me over the phone that they don't care about any of that "niche stuff" since it doesn't make them money because it's all about imaging now!

Much gratitude for FLO...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Great point. FLO is unflaggingly wonderful. On a few occasions, I tried dealing with a different astronomy supplier that sponsors a different astronomy forum. They got irritated with me because I asked about Takahashi telescopes for visual observing! The vexed rep explained to me over the phone that they don't care about any of that "niche stuff" since it doesn't make them money because it's all about imaging now!

Much gratitude for FLO...

Exactly! The trend now is heavily biased towards imaging. Even the videos on YouTube are the same. Despite there being quite a few of us visual observers still around, I have accepted that we are now seen as a niche group in this amazing hobby.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Xilman said:

While we're on the CN-bashing wagon: one of the things that drive me away from there for months at a time is the attitude and actions of some of the CN moderators. They appear to be jobs-worth sticklers for the letter of the rules with no imagination or flexibility. Some mods are good people and I know that they are also dismayed by the actions of some of their colleagues.

What is very different about SGL is that the mods are almost always invisible, except when asked for assistance --- when help is usually prompt and plentiful.

That has definitely not been my experience of CN ; the moderators there have never had an issue with my posts apart from kindly letting me know they had moved one to a different sub forum. The forum software on SGL is definitely better designed in my opinion.

• Like 3

Lay off CN! It's a great forum and resource. Honestly, I have never seen a cultural difference between the two forums... SGL has far better software though.

• Like 6

It’s about collaboration and sharing your insights and interests with like minded people and actually realising that you are not alone in the universe  🪐 - it’s also great to see what other people do and how they do it, so much knowledge all in one place and easy to navigate around unlike some other forums which are not as user friendly imo 🤗

• Like 5