Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ultimate visual set up

20 inch plus dob for me as well.

Having observed with a couple of 20 inch dobs, the views under the right skies are simply incredible. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, John said:

20 inch plus dob for me as well.

Yes- and fast so I didn't need a step ladder, but with a Paracorr to sort out the coma. And a quality 3 inch refractor for a finder.  One day...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

I’d personally pick a massive SCT - something like the Celestron CGX-L 14" (1400) SCT Telescope - its a beauty 

Don’t forget the flame thrower for dew.

• Haha 4

Despite having stated that “mirrors are for shaving!” More than once, the ultimate for me would be a 20”+ Dob sub f/4 (so I can keep my feet on the ground when pointing at the zenith) with coma corrector.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beardy30 said:

I’d personally pick a massive SCT - something like the Celestron CGX-L 14" (1400) SCT Telescope - its a beauty 

I've used a couple of 14 inch SCT's and the views are impressive. One owner had their socks blown off when I put my Ethos 21mm in the scope and showed him Messier 13 with it 😁

I currently have a top class 5.1 inch refractor and that is very impressive as well.

Still a massive dob for the "ultimate" for me though. Not practical where I am now but I can use my society 18 inch from time to time so that is something to fall back on (not literally !) 🙂

• Like 3

The observatory I'm a member of has a 20-inch reflector in one of the domes.  Sadly it's never been clear enough when I make a rare visit.  I suspect that.

Or a 5" APM/LZOS (purely from what I've read).  But I'd need a lottery win for that one...

• Like 4