Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm too old to get this cold

nickarp2000

Perfect dark skies.

Crystal still air.

Stars leaping out at me.

Frozen eyebrows !

There appears to be no happy mediium here in the UK for any form of OBS or imaging sessions which combine an ability to control a computer at the rig with thermal gloves on, a beanie and 25 layers of cloth on you to try to stop hyperthermia.

I just cant do it at this time of year anymore and am going to wait until March (when its cloudy and windy) before I attempt to set up again.

Being a bit of a neanderthal I dont have a rig thats geared up for remote imaging, nor do I have the funds to have a nice observatory;  and the hauling in and out of freezing cold aluminium and steel really doesnt get my juices flowing anymore.

Rant over, but I'm sure I'm not alone

Nick

• Like 12

I’ve been there and done that, I could cope with the setting up and operating the kit outside, it was the taking down a frost covered scope when cold induced fatigue had set in that got to me.

I’m fortunate to have a permanent set up now with a warm room shed, but last night this brought another unexpected annoyance. The rise in temperature in the shed woke up 4 huge bluebottles that were constantly buzzing around my head, I was rather cruel and persuaded them to fly out into the freezing night.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nickarp2000 said:

imaging sessions which combine an ability to control a computer at the rig with thermal gloves on

I do this via my asiair and mobile phone. Thick snow type gloves which have conductive tips so I can still use the phone app and setup my rig, then go back in and continue to monitor. Even during previously snow fallen covered nights.

I get the frozen equipment thing, if you've got the space to store it usually I just put it in the shed to thaw out for the next day to pack away.

• Like 1

A telegizmo cover was the best thing I've ever bought for my telescope. 

No chance of an observatory but a reasonably secure garden so just shoving the cover over it rather than breaking down in the freezing cold was a big quality of life improvement.

• Like 5

We Scandinavians have adapted. I had -27°C here this morning when I closed the obsy roof. Have a look at this guy further north in Sweden:

• Like 6

Lightweights 😆  clear sky forecast tonight, below minus 20C, shovel work done and found the tripod marks. 

T'here is no such thing as bad weather. Just the wrong clothing' old Finnish proverb

20240116_124852.thumb.jpg.2cfe1d0a6bf0db281bb7802a1a1200aa.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

I know what you mean. I spent about 70 minutes outside yesterday and then after I came in I was still shivering for the next two hours. I could have put slightly more warm clothing on but I was in a rush to set up and get pictures of the moon (I will post them later, they made it worth putting up with the cold). 

• Like 1

I have a sheepskin bomber jacket similar to the one my father wore at 14,000 ft in a Lancaster. Cold doesn't exist in the UK that can penetrate that....in fact I have to take it off above about 1° as it's too warm! 🤣

Of course, my problem lies with the rest of my body. By the time I've put on JCB socks, a woolly hat, leather gloves, etc I've gone right off the whole idea! 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stefan73 said:

A telegizmo cover was the best thing I've ever bought for my telescope. 

No chance of an observatory but a reasonably secure garden so just shoving the cover over it rather than breaking down in the freezing cold was a big quality of life improvement.

yes +1 to that - it does make a big difference to be able to do that when there's a risk of poor weather coming in and it's time for bed!  I guess only any good if you're imaging at home and it's reasonably secure as you say.

I can't cope with the cold for long, so I limit my visual observing to brief spells with bins at this time of year, and focus on automated imaging.

I agree. If I could not observe with my scope a couple of paces from a warm room, I would not be doing it. Thank goodness for a patio and french windows !

Home bargains sell feet warmers and hsndwarmers, the feet ones are very thin stick them to your feet they keep your feet really warm. 

I tuck a hand warmer in each glove. 

I wear a hat and a neck warmer there are things called skins my granddaughter wears them to play football. They are close fitting I wear one then a long leaved T Shirt and a quilted coat. 

I use long John's and linen leggings I find they are warmer than jeans. 

I have insulated boots (go outdoors) £35 and heat holder socks. 

I am toasty then, a good flask of tea or coffee doesn't go amiss. 

Not yet finished a project - another binochair but this one trailer based due to weight. As it uses a car seat I bought an electrically heated car seat liner, a lesson from experience. At present  the polar quality goose down duvet jacket (it's astonishingly good, the trivial effort of simply putting it on heats it), thick cycling gloves, winter cycling tights under fleece lined trousers all helps, takes an age to dress  but well worth it till frost forms on everything.

• Like 1

Observing is tough, for sure! That's my only option working away from home five days a week. It's been mighty cold recently. Wind chill is the worst. 

In comparison, imaging from home is fine with TeamViewer installed.  After setting up and polar aligning, a quick tot of whiskey  indoors while PHD2 calibrates.

Back out for fine focus and targeting. Then unless there's a technical issue, a warm chair and another dram of whiskey awaits. Clear , cold nights mean little

cloud so no back and forth. What's not to like!?