NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I am torn…128 vs 126

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

No, if you look it is fpl-53, WO just market it as synthetic fluorite which I don’t agree with.

It could even be the same scope as a number of 125mm F/7.8 doublets around.

WO sometimes plays around with the stated spec a tiny bit to seemingly have something unique. Their XWA "101" degree eyepiece was an example - exactly the same eyepiece as the Myriad 100 degree. 

Given this choice I'd go for the pedigree of the FS128 every time.

Edited by John
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, John said:

It could be the same scope as a number of 125mm F/7.8 doublets around.

WO sometimes plays around with the stated spec a tiny bit to seemingly have something unique. Their XWA "101" degree eyepiece was an example - exactly the same eyepiece as the Myriad 100 degree. 

Give this choice I'd go for the pedigree of the FS128 every time.

Good point John and the 125mm doublets have been compared by a couple of reviewers to the FS128, with the FS just having the edge in both reviews.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

there’s synthetic flourite, real floutite, and Fpl-53 which is synthetic flourite? meaning the WO is not actually flourite?

From a purely linguistic point of view, fluorite of any sort is crystalline calcium fluoride. "Synthetic" means it has been grown in a lab/factory, "natural" means it was dug up, but I would say both of those qualify as "real". Any commercial telescope objective is too large to be made from natural fluorite (which often has impurities anyway). FPL-53 should presumably be described something like "variety of glass having optical properties as close to fluorite as makes no difference", but that might be too long to fit around the outside of the objective.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

From a purely linguistic point of view, fluorite of any sort is crystalline calcium fluoride. "Synthetic" means it has been grown in a lab/factory, "natural" means it was dug up, but I would say both of those qualify as "real". Any commercial telescope objective is too large to be made from natural fluorite (which often has impurities anyway). FPL-53 should presumably be described something like "variety of glass having optical properties as close to fluorite as makes no difference", but that might be too long to fit around the outside of the objective.

My understanding is that Fluorite is a crystal, fpl-53 is a glass containing fluoride. The glass has not been grown in the way a fluorite crystal has. Having read more into it, it seems a complex area with different views but the above is the key difference. Differences in performance are supposedly lower scatter and better contrast.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stu said:

My understanding is that Fluorite is a crystal, fpl-53 is a glass containing fluoride. The glass has not been grown in the way a fluorite crystal has. Having read more into it, it seems a complex area with different views but the above is the key difference. Differences in performance are supposedly lower scatter and better contrast.

Yes, a glass, by definition, has a disordered composition, unlike a crystal.

• Like 3

I'm always wary of WO. Too much 'pretty' and not enough substance for my taste. (I have one and have used many.)

Olly

Edit: As an example, I wouldn't hit a burglar with a WO scope... :grin::grin:

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The WO scopes do look nice, but I never read much about them or hear any comparisons with other similar scopes. If there was a market for similar 'mid-range' scopes I guess the new scopes from Askar have grabbed it with both hands.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

This was a Validation post of course @Sunshine😉
so when do you collect the 128?

Conflict between my and my friends work schedule is what stands in my way. Having a look at it and shaking hands os about all that is left.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Conflict between my and my friends work schedule is what stands in my way. Having a look at it and shaking hands os about all that is left.

Thats great.
I and I am sure we look towards the reveal and first light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Thats great.
I and I am sure we look towards the reveal and first light.

That may happen this week! if so, I’ll be so excited I’ll post a reveal in every category, completely shutting down SGL 😂 

kidding

I do sincerely thank all my SGL family for chiming in so enthusiastically and promptly, you are all salt of the earth. To wet my appetite, my friend sent me a shot of a very pretty objective to tie me over, for now.

87807039-93B9-454C-B9E0-1D4D25681D12.jpeg
Anyone know what this symbol means? 

49016994-6BCF-41A8-B950-0CBEBBADDDAC.png

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 04/12/2023 at 15:39, dweller25 said:

I have no knowledge of the WO Z126 but I had a TSA102 and FS128 at the same time for over 10 years.

I used the TSA on a Vixen GP, the FS128 NEEDED a Vixen GPDX and a Berlebach tripod, so it’s a heavier setup.

The views through the FS128 beat those through the TSA on all objects and the colour vibrancy in the FS128 was excellent.

I would totally, unreservedly and enthusiastically  recommend the FS if you are OK with the higher weight setup.

IMG_1924.thumb.jpeg.2634dc4f55f07dd00248fdbce8b30c48.jpeg

The FS is pretty much waiting for me, but I feel it just wont be complete without a set of bright yellow balls around the tripod, is that a Tak accessory? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just wondering if this matters, from what I think I am reading there are some FS128 models with the flourite element placed in the back and some with frourite in front? does it matter if this is the case? or am I reading it wrong? not sure I understand.

10FCE34C-44E1-4746-B27A-96770AA2B497.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine

The Fluorite lens is placed at the front to give that prescription better performance.

I think all the 5” FS128’s had this arrangements, but other sizes had different setups.

There are rumours that as the Fluorite element is at the front it will absorb moisture over time and degrade.

Natural Fluorite is very slightly hydroscopic.

However the lens in the FS is a synthetically grown crystal that is very hard and not hydroscopic.

My FS128 was manufactured in 1998 and still performed superbly, the rumours about the lenses degrading/softening/dissolving is nonsense.

There is also a rumour that a cold Fluorite lens will crack if taken into a warm room !

You can buy in confidence, there are even older Fluorite scopes still around that have not melted 🤣

PS - The tennis balls were to protect my wifes ankle after she had surgery 👍

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sunshine said:

That may happen this week! if so, I’ll be so excited I’ll post a reveal in every category, completely shutting down SGL 😂 

kidding

I do sincerely thank all my SGL family for chiming in so enthusiastically and promptly, you are all salt of the earth. To wet my appetite, my friend sent me a shot of a very pretty objective to tie me over, for now.

87807039-93B9-454C-B9E0-1D4D25681D12.jpeg
Anyone know what this symbol means? 

49016994-6BCF-41A8-B950-0CBEBBADDDAC.png

Has anyone licked that OG yet? 🤔

• Haha 4