Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The shape of thngs to come?

Xilman

I just came across this link which has interesting content:

https://physicsworld.com/a/new-superconducting-nanowire-single-photon-detector-has-400000-pixels/

For instance: “They work for any [photon] wavelength up to 29 mm (not true for many other silicon technologies) and have demonstrated detection efficiencies of 98% at 1550 nm. They also have very low uncertainties in photon arrival times (timing jitter) and have extremely low false detection rates (dark counts).”

The technology is still bleeding edge, at least in part because they (presently) require superconductors and I doubt we will see it in cameras affordable by amateurs but it looks very interesting to me. However, liquid nitrogen is (relatively) dirt cheap and progress in high-temperature superconductivity proceeds apace.

Edited by Xilman
Fix tyop

1 minute ago, Mandy D said:

Very interesting. So, it is basically a very high sensitivity infra-red sensor.

Right now I don't know the practical short wavelength limit. 1550nm is near infra-red. 29mm is microwave. Atmospheric absorption renders much of that range inaccessible but there are still some usable windows. Light pollution in the IR is negligible but there is rather a lot in the microwave spectrum.