SGL4 Picture - Witches Broom

Tim

After James was kind enough to show us this through the Skywatcher Mak Newt I was very keen to get the camera on to it before it got light. As it was, I managed 1hr 40 mins of 10min subs, finishing just after 4am. It was great to have company out there till then, although as the hours crept on, more and more fell into bed. Most notably, it was the imagers that stayed up the longest to make the most of the dark skies, despite the cold wind that blew steadily through the night.

I think James was the last to bed, I remember seeing him frantically trying to get a run on the Ring nebula at around 4.30am sunday morning. Well and truly hooked now I think :)

I'm very pleased with this pic, for such a short overall exposure. It was taken through a GSO 8" 'astrograph', with a QHY8 and MPCC. A CLS filter was used. Guiding with PHD via DSI Pro through a TS off axis guider.

If you haven't seen this visually yet, it is definetly worth a look, very impressive!

Thanks for looking. I'll post the other two pics from the night when I get some time to process them.

Full size link here (WARNING 8mb)

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/SGL4-Witch-Broomfull.jpg

TJ

post-14037-133877369133_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tremendous job you have done here TJ. That is a gorgeous Image.

You sure do put the effort in to your work.

It was a great pleasure to meet you too mate, and your wife, who makes a mean cup of coffee.:)

Thanks for the tour of your setup too.

Ron.:)

Agreed. Lovely wide field and rich star colour, which seems to be something that very fast scopes deliver well. This is one of those great objects, for me, in which you can 'see' the physics in action. You've done it justice.

Olly

Archived