Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting back into astronomy, it's been a l o n g t i m e...

Kilohertz

Hello everyone.

I have decided to get involved in astronomy again, it's been 40 years since I was serious about it. I built my own 8" Newtonian back in the 70's, learned a lot about optics. I had my own darkroom so I could process film that same night if I wanted to. Things sure have changed. :happy3:

I'm planning to use all of my learned experiences and electronics background to use/modify/motorize my old equatorial mount (Meade 4550) and use a machine vision camera to capture images with this simple 4.5" newt. I have a lot to learn about astrophotography and how to incorporate all my ideas into a workable setup.

I'm also planning on getting started right away with a prebuilt system, I have an NEQ-3 on the way, should be here in a few weeks, and am looking at an Explore Scientific ED80 with a few accessories to go on it, I'll be going to look at it this coming weekend. I am also contemplating other scopes as well, so much has changed in 40 years.

Looking forward to participating in discussions here and sharing ideas.

Cheers from Vernon, BC

Edited by Kilohertz
  • Like 6

• Kilohertz changed the title to Getting back into astronomy, it's been a l o n g t i m e...

I have found myself in a situation similar to yours. After almost three years since my return to the hobby, I am still assimilating the large number of changes that have occurred since the 80s in amateur astronomy... But hey, what is done with passion is always worth it... Welcome!

9 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Actually the sentence before that maybe the bit that has changed the most. Your total confidence that you will be observing this coming weekend. I am yer to find an Astronomer that looks one day into the future with any form of certainty.

Marv

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated. Yes I'm jumping in with both feet. I live on 20 acres out in the country, a secluded valley which I think is about Bortle 2-3. I'm starting to retire, should be fully retired in 20 years :happy7: and thought while I'm here, lets get some good astro time. I've already been here 16 years.

Well, I won't be stargazing this weekend, I'll be looking at the t-scope this weekend, I need to go back and reword my first post, or maybe "I'll by a comma for $500" Vanna.

Still looking for a good used refractor locally, and reading several hours per day, so much to learn.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

I decided to head out and just try snapping a few pics with my Lumix G7 on a tripod, stock 15-42mm lens. I just pointed the camera straight up at the Milky Way.  This was 30s @ ISO 6400. 

I'm happy with my first attempt. I need to figure out a better focusing scheme.

cheers

_1210648 copy2.jpg

Edited by Kilohertz
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Just under 2 months back into it and knee deep in the hoopla, and $3,000 is missing from my bank account, but I'm having fun and learning LOTS! Now I just need some clear skies, over a month of clouds, totally abnormal for this area.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Thanks guys!

Just under 2 months back into it and knee deep in the hoopla, and $3,000 is missing from my bank account, but I'm having fun and learning LOTS! Now I just need some clear skies, over a month of clouds, totally abnormal for this area.

Cheers

I feel your pain! Very cloudy across the pond too; the number of full, clear nights since August I can count on one hand!

On 01/01/2024 at 18:24, Kilohertz said:

Thanks guys!

Cheers

Just regard that as a deposit 😆 welcome to the forum!

• Haha 3