NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can it be true?

Stu

After so long without any decent observing opportunities, tonight it is clear, and with Jupiter at opposition too!

I have put the FS-128 out on the GP-DX mount, the first time I’ve used this combo in anger. It took me quite a while to sort the Skysensor controller out properly, getting the cables connected to the right motors and entering all the parameters correctly. My biggest mistake was getting Longitude and Latitude the wrong way round! DOH! Once done, I aligned on Jupiter, Alberio and Saturn and it has been tracking very accurately since. The biggest problem is that the back up battery has gone flat on the Skysensor so I have to enter the settings each time. I’ll have to replace it sooner or later.

Initially I use Pentax XW 7mm and 5mm eyepieces. The views were very nice, but my floaters were quite prominent. Switching to MaxBright II binoviewers sorted that out. Initially with 25mm and a x2.6 GPC, I wanted a bit more power so I switched to 20mm Vixen LVs giving supposedly x135 but it looked higher.

The views were very nice I must say, best I’ve had this year although that’s not saying too much. Jupiter was showing very good detail, plenty of colour in the bands, blue grey festoons off the NEB and multiple bands. I’ll have a more detailed look later on, assuming it stays clear.

I had a quick look at Saturn, multiple moons on show beyond the normal Titan. Rhea, Tethys, Dione and Iapetus.

Anyway, great to have some decent views after so long. Hopefully it will stay clear until GRS peeps around the limb later this evening 🤞.

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3790.jpeg

• Like 11

Hi Stu

what time do you reckon the GRS will appear approximately? I just finished viewing for tonight and it’s getting cloudy but it’s giving a couple of clear periods later on. BTW I’d  love get a look at Jupiter through that 5” fluorite scope !! Health to enjoy 

Joe

• Like 1

Looks good!

'Can it be true', yeah my thoughts to, particularly after the battering and drenching of Storm Ciaran. Have the VX8L dob out, had been undercover not trusting the weather, but Jupiter is shinning bright and will be emerging from behind the chimney pot soon. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe G said:

Hi Stu

what time do you reckon the GRS will appear approximately? I just finished viewing for tonight and it’s getting cloudy but it’s giving a couple of clear periods later on. BTW I’d  love get a look at Jupiter through that 5” fluorite scope !! Health to enjoy 

Joe

Looks like it should be fully on the disk by 10.45pm, and it transits at 12.20am.

The views are very nice tonight I must say 😊

IMG_3794.png

IMG_3795.png

Hi all

Jupiter just appeared to my naked eye when I went outside to take a look but I believe the clouds are coming in. Anyway thanks for the heads up & hopefully I’ll get a chance to see it again some time soon 

Joe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe G said:

Hi all

Jupiter just appeared to my naked eye when I went outside to take a look but I believe the clouds are coming in. Anyway thanks for the heads up & hopefully I’ll get a chance to see it again some time soon 

Joe

Looking at the satellite I reckon it’s going to cloud over here too unfortunately 🤬

Sounds like a great session Stu! IIRC isn't there a transit of Io tonight with a very close shadow? Would love to hear if you manage to catch it. Also, (as I'm always saying these days) if you do have another look at Saturn, see if you can catch Enceladus in the 5"!

Currently visiting my parents for a family birthday and didn't bring a scope as I expected cloud (logistics notwithstanding) but got back from the pub to find some actual clear skies! I dug out my stepdad's Celestron 70mm achro to be met with basically full cloud as soon as I'd set up 😭

Eventually did manage to get a few holes here and there. Only using basic EPs and so on but in moments of transparency, both NEB and SEB really very distinct, along with three moons close in and one further out. Could be worse! 

20231103_215533.thumb.jpg.45696b621ab28aa961730f440674d309.jpg

20231103_221025.thumb.jpg.bad215d00a63ffab2664ae34e3b32891.jpg

• Like 6

Interesting. I had a go at Jupiter tonight but anything much above x100 it was a wobbly mess. The worse views I’ve had in a long time. I could just make out the GRS as it came around the limb. But I’ve come in now as I have variable clouds overhead which are rapidly thickening! 

Spoke too soon. I was about to pack up for the night but the cloud suddenly cleared. Now the views of Jupiter are far better :) . I believe that there’s going to be a shadow transit of Europa in about an hour. But will it remain clear!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Spoke too soon. I was about to pack up for the night but the cloud suddenly cleared. Now the views of Jupiter are far better :) . I believe that there’s going to be a shadow transit of Europa in about an hour. But will it remain clear!

Don’t keep us in suspense Peter 🤣. I’m hoping you are having a lie in after seeing the shadow transit? It clouded over here and I needed to get to bed so didn’t see it.

Re seeing, it’s amazing how it changes, and how it varies between locations. Even last night the Moon was a wobbly mess, but Jupiter was rock steady a lot of the time when in the clear spells.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Looking great @Stu

I found the SS2000 to be excellent on my GPDX

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

😆 I found this funny, great to hear you had a nice session with Jupiter.

Actually angry was the last thing I was! Very happy to be out with a lovely setup, some decent skies and the king of planets at oppositions…. Oh yes, and a GRS transit too!

The setup worked really well. I may swap to the Planet tripod, but it was manageable with weights removed on the Uni-28, and very stable still. My battery was going towards the end, but the tracking stayed accurate, keeping Jupiter in the fov at x135 all evening and Gotos also accurate. Given that my alignment was ropey to say the least that’s very impressive.

• Like 2

It’s a ropey shot I know, but this was a handheld short video clip (7 seconds) processed in the VideoStack app on my phone. You can just about make out GRS if you squint 🤪.

Visually there was so much to see. GRS showing some variations within it, with a the strong dark band trailing off the bottom of it. There was some nice turbulence in the SEB behind it too. There was what looked like a white oval embedded in the NEB but not totally sure what it was. Also white belts within north and southern polar regions.

This post from Reggie from 15th shows similar detail though not exact as it was a few weeks ago. Would be great to see some images of GRS from last night.

BB29FB9D-BBDD-446A-BBA9-26D54BD29BBC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi I went back out last night & got set up again. However I had left the scope in the garage and it was still dewed up from the earlier session. I didn’t want to use a hairdryer ( old wives tales about different temperatures on fluorite) so packed it away for the night 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Don’t keep us in suspense Peter 🤣. I’m hoping you are having a lie in after seeing the shadow transit? It clouded over here and I needed to get to bed so didn’t see it.

Re seeing, it’s amazing how it changes, and how it varies between locations. Even last night the Moon was a wobbly mess, but Jupiter was rock steady a lot of the time when in the clear spells.

Exactly that. I was also on full English break duty this morning. 

Managed to see the start of the shadow transit between clouds before it finally got too much. I do really enjoy shadow transits - mesmerising to watch - and any is better than nothing!

Not sure why but for some reason just before or after clouds can improve the seeing.

• Like 1