Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Elisa

EliinAfrica

Hi everyone.,

I just signed up to the forum as I am interested in Astronomy since I was a child but I never owned a telescope. 

My daughter is almost 6 and is very attracted by the planets and the stars so I wanted to find something for her to start the journey.

I hope I can find useful information in here :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, EliinAfrica said:

Hi everyone.,

I just signed up to the forum as I am interested in Astronomy since I was a child but I never owned a telescope. 

My daughter is almost 6 and is very attracted by the planets and the stars so I wanted to find something for her to start the journey.

I hope I can find useful information in here :)

Hi! If your daughter is interested in astronomy, why don't you buy her a binocular? You could have a lot of fun under a good sky! 😀

• Like 1

Hi,  Welcome! I'm also a new member to this. The ones here are really helpful! 😌

18 hours ago, EliinAfrica said:

I am interested in Astronomy since I was a child but I never owned a telescope

Your don't need a Telescope to be interested in astronomy! You only need your desire!

Anyone can get a Telescope, but everyone can't get the desire!

Nikolai

• Like 3

Welcome to SGL. Having spent an accumulated few months stargazing from Namibia and Mozambique over the last decade I can safely say you will have some amazing skies to explore.

A pair of binoculars could serve you and your daughter well. I would suggest a lower magnification (say 6-7x) so she can hold them still and fairly light weight would be the place to start. If she maintains her excitement for the subject, then a telescope in the future perhaps.

• Like 3

Welcome Eliin, everyone here is very nice and very helpful.
This forum is turning very international, but fortunately with a very distinct British accent.
My self French, but went for other horizons.!
Don't hesitate to ask questions, Your sky is excellent for observing. 
Speaking from experience having visited neighboring countries very recently.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the community! I started my journey among the stars with just naked eyes when I was around 6 later with a friend's borrowed 10x50 binoculars. Enjoy the ride, you have one of the best skies in the world! Time and budget allowing I might visit your wonderful country one day🙂.

Edited by GTom