Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 3D/Biela debris field

Tomatobro

The earth is predicted to pass through a debris field of Comet 3D/Biela on 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd of December. This comet is one of the ones that disappeared about 100 years ago.

Computer predictions suggest that this could be the meteor event of the year with a display of very slow meteors (<>16kms)

I guess that the press will at some point get hold of this story and will attach to it the usual hype but if predictions are correct should be a good show.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2023 at 08:55, Tomatobro said:

The earth is predicted to pass through a debris field of Comet 3D/Biela on 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd of December. This comet is one of the ones that disappeared about 100 years ago.

Computer predictions suggest that this could be the meteor event of the year with a display of very slow meteors (<>16kms)

I guess that the press will at some point get hold of this story and will attach to it the usual hype but if predictions are correct should be a good show.

Have you a link ? I read an article in this but don't have it available any more. Since the moon will be old and the radiant is high it could be a very good but also quite faint shower sue to the slow speeds 

6 minutes ago, skybadger said:

Have you a link ? I read an article in this but don't have it available any more. Since the moon will be old and the radiant is high it could be a very good but also quite faint shower sue to the slow speeds 

https://www.astropioneer.blog/2023/03/unusual-andromedids-meteor-shower-outburst.html?m=1

It’s describing the frequency in meteors per second as opposed to a more usual meteors per hour. My God it could be the event of the decade for those with dark skies and clear nights!

@markse68’s profile backdrop photo comes to mind…

Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet

On 2023 11 29, I was facing north and setting up the D800 with a 14 mm lens in live view at ISO-3200 when I saw a streak cut down through my field of view. It was quite rapid and gone in under half a second. It appeared red on the screen with a visible track length of maybe 10 - 15°.

Caught none on my meteorcam last night. Clear most of the night and lots of other meteors were caught.

Was beautifully stunner here in Cheshire until an hour ago. Snow flurries now.

Note that the Andromedids are very slow meteors, which is a good differentiator.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Caught none on my meteorcam last night. Clear most of the night and lots of other meteors were caught.

Was beautifully stunner here in Cheshire until an hour ago. Snow flurries now.

Note that the Andromedids are very slow meteors, which is a good differentiator.

I probably misunderstood, but I thought the source of the Andromedids was the same comet? Or do you mean differentiator between meteors from the 1649 dust stream source, vs meteors from the normal annual source?