NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kielder Star Camp, Autumn 2023

James

Still catching up on the sleep after a star party with three clear nights (perhaps mercifully Thursday was cloudy so got some sleep after a very clear Wednesday night) -  but those up for just Friday and Saturday nights got a treat too.. I really don't want to know if it stayed clear after I left on the Sunday 🤫 Unusually, I left with a largely dry tent!!

Did a bit of time lapsing, some standalone shots (some attached), some visual through Lynn and Kevs' scope, struggled with the faint fuzzies somewhat but we were looking at some very obscure NGC's. Also popped out with Nick for some photos of nearby tree, found by @davew previously  - the exact location will remain slightly secret in case the Sycamore Gap tree killers are still at large.. As it happens we ended up comparing what a new iPhone 15 can do versus a DSLR and, subject to the phone being in the hands of a very competent user and my DSLR being in the hands of a moderately competent user it's pretty clear that the phone was holding it's own. I'm guessing I can print up to and beyond A3 though with the DSLR's output.. so I'm chalking that as a win... ;)

Much like I hear from the red field at Kelling (running the same weekend) we did have an unfortunate incursion by a young lady with headlights/foglights on full one night - once the blind/dark spots had faded it was back to business. The skies at Kielder are very very dark - there's always been some light pollution from Newcastle way, considerably hidden by a hill/bank of trees but there's a gradual increase from light pollution from the north too. It's still great being at a dark site where the only indication there's cloud overhead is that some stars are hidden..

Some random images attached here - I suspect the images are clearer/sharper when clicked on.. :)

James

tree2.jpg

redlight.jpg

tent.jpg

topfield.jpg

topfield2.jpg

lasvegas.jpg

• Like 16