Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kielder Autumn 2016

Dixie

....and as summer slips by thoughts are cast forward to the dark nights of October.  The 13th Kielder Autumn Starcamp is being staged from 26 - 31 October.  The recent CPRE night blight report found the darkest spot in England to be a Kielder hillside just a stone's throw away from our venue - Kielder Campsite. Talks on the main day (29 Oct) are all free - in fact all you need to do is pay for your pitch and you're done.  Currently we have non-hooks ups available, but we do have a wonderful new warm room to escape the chill, with multiple charging points, tea/coffee making, armchairs and open 24/7.  We'll also be running our free Friday night mulled wine/cider get together.  All the details you need are at kielderstarcamp.org   We hope you can join us. 

IMG_5908.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Dead water is the one above the village with the military mast. Great views reputedley to north sea one way and Irish sea the other.  Black MTB route starts here. For experts only. Rich 

Great, I am quite familiar with Deadwater Fell, years back I had participated in the annual Kielder Fell Race, which would return as a decent down Deadwater back to ( I think) the Rugby club. I had also walked back over this after a long walk to the Kielder Stone. Don't think I had mountain biked over it, though I use to do quite a bit of this in the area to. Hope to make the starcamp.

Edit: the rugby club was used for changing room & bath tub facilities, the race started and finished from Kielder Castle. I ran it twice, the second time I completed in a good position and won a pot of local jam!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a hook up pitch from Lynn on Wednesday that had become free :headbang: , Can't wait, 1st Star Camp, a total new adventure for me and my 11 yr old, Thursday, Friday & Saturday we will be there, hope to meet some of you and see the wonders on the night sky.

Please weather be kind to us.

Two electric tent pitches have come free for the Kielder Star Camp - 26 - 31 October.  If you fancy them please email asap to Lynn at lynnhenderson@blueyonder.co.uk  Lovely pix by Mike Dickson.

We have a 24/7 purpose built warm room, plus main day talks and mulled wine soiree all free.

Star trails above Northumberland.Mike Dickson.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Only a few days to go - Can't wait, always love the Kielder star party!

Who's all going from SGL?  I see they have their star party on the same weekend as Kielder so maybe a few folks are heading to that instead

Here's the free talks on Saturday for Kielder, between 12 noon and 4pm. Venue Kielder Castle.  Anyone and everyone welcome.

Stuart Atkinson, beginner's guide to the stars.

Martin Whipp, John Wall and his inventions

John Nicol, remembering Grubb Parsons.

Gain Lee, ins search of galaxy super clusters.

Plus astro boot and meteorite stands.

6 hours ago, blinky said:

Who's all going from SGL?  I see they have their star party on the same weekend as Kielder so maybe a few folks are heading to that instead

I'm going to Kielder tomorrow. See everyone there.

On 10/24/2016 at 12:57, blinky said:

We are going up a day early(Wednesday) now, all packed and ready to go.

Archived