Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reflections on observing improvements

Paz

I have been reading through my observing diary and this December will be my 10th anniversary of observing. It has got me thinking about my habits and I've identified some things I intend to change. After 10 years maybe I ought to have a shorter list of improvements I could make, but I've found it very useful to write things down and I thought it might be useful to put it out there. Here it is:

1. Observe away from home more often - not just for darker skies at night but for cooler more stable skies for solar and daylight planetary. I live on a fairly modern estate with lots of domestic security lights left on even after the lamp posts go out at night, and in the day roads, drives, pavements, etc make for a heat haze all day long that limits solar and planetary observing quality. 
  2. Put scopes out earlier to cool down properly - I often put a scope out at the last minute as I don't know until then if I am going to observe or not, and so I have to accept tube currents, I need to put scopes out sooner even if it's 50:50 if I will observe.
  3. Be mindful of when to go for binoviewers or cyclops. I find binoviewers simply better for the views the majority of the time but the extra hassle and workload involved in binoviewing has I think been a downer sometimes and I am finding I am enjoying going back to the simplicity of cyclops just as much as I enjoy the quality of binoviewing.
  4. Get back into observing DSOs next winter - I have drifted away from observing DSOs as life is busy, the skies where I live are not great for it, and they are the toughest things to find and observe - but with the right planning there's no reason to miss out on them.
  5. Sketch more often - I never used to sketch in the field but recently have done more of this, not so much to have a sketch but because it is a discipline that makes me really concentrate and it improves how much I see.
  6. Use Sky Safari more for planning in advance - setting up specific target lists and using them in the field.
  7. Start using observing lists as checklists (Messier, Lunar 100, etc)  to identify what I have and have not seen and focus on observing things I haven't seen yet. I have never used lists as a tick box exercise, for example I have no idea how many of the Messiers I have seen, but I do think I am going around in circles on the same targets too much and need to break out of that habit.
  8. Spend more time properly reading the astronomy books I've got, and more time reading up on the targets I am actually observing around the time I am observing them.
  9. Have a one-hand-carry grab and go set up ready to go at home (bins or a travel scope) - I think I am too fixated on only observing with 100mm+ scopes at home and only using smaller gear when travelling, but there's a lot to be seen in short sessions with smaller apertures when conditions are not on for bigger set ups and longer sessions.
  10. Do more observing in groups with others, but this will be tough as the reality is that any arrangements to meet are cancelled the majority or vast majority of the time due to the weather.
  11. Put most of my attention into enjoying what I have and only a little into considering equipment upgrades. I should say no further equipment upgrades, but never say never! 
  • Like 21

Excellent list @Paz, I can relate to most of those! I’ve been at it 23 years now, when will I learn! 🤣

I have an aversion to list ticking too, so still have not completed the Messier objects though I must be in the high 80s now, perhaps this year I will focus on it and get it done!

Thanks for the post 👍

EDIT Some thoughts on binoviewing and a grab and go setup. I’ve always tended to avoid changing eyepieces in my binoviewers, preferring to use Barlow and extension tubes to vary the magnification. Whilst this can end up with a looonnnggg stack, I find it works very well and with T2 quick changers it’s very quick to ‘add and remove’ magnification. I exclusively use binoviewers for solar observing, and prefer them for lunar. Planetary I’m on the fence still and for everything else it’s cyclops for me.

In terms of a quick setup, a 4” can still fill that gap I think. I have my FC100DC permanently setup on its ScopeTech Zero mount and Gitzo tripod, normally with the CoolWedge and binoviewers in it ready to pop out at a moments notice, even for a quick 15 mins here and there. It’s pretty much a one handed lift and very easy. Doesn’t have to be this combo of course, but it’s quite achievable and is how I do the majority of my observing.

• Like 2

Great list, many of which resonate with me, particularly (3) and (5).

Regarding binoviewing, often I stick with cyclops viewing due to the ease of setup, but the nice thing is I get a 'wow' moment every time when I do reach for the Binoviewers. And then I say to myself I should use Binoviewers all the time! But I never do!

Malcolm 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

Totally agree on point 3, I love binoviewing but setting up can be a pain compared to cyclops. For me the bino's are reserved for planet season and luna/solar when time permits.

I think my problem has been the fear of missing out if I don't set up the binoviewers, but now I have clocked this I am finding it easier to pick cyclops or binoviewing on the merits of the circumstances and enjoy both approaches just the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Excellent list @Paz, I can relate to most of those! I’ve been at it 23 years now, when will I learn! 🤣

I have an aversion to list ticking too, so still have not completed the Messier objects though I must be in the high 80s now, perhaps this year I will focus on it and get it done!

Thanks for the post 👍

The lists idea arose from reading through my observing notes and realising that my best experiences of observing something (be it a particular object or class of object) is usually the first time I saw it, and so identifying what I haven't seen should open up a whole new world of new "firsts" to discover.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I should plan my sessions more often, but I'm lazy or casual or whatever.  I do usually have one or two targets in mind when I go out, but most of my time is spent on targets of opportunity.  😉

Tough to do, but I should also make more dark site trips.  Way too much LP at home.

I prefer observing alone, so #10 is not a priority for me.

#11 is my Achilles Heel.  I spend way too much time looking at vendor sites to see what they have and reading equipment reviews.   Actually, I should probably downsize some.

• Like 2

I really like this thread. Something else that comes to my mind is eye health... making sure to rest them from screens and to do daily exercises. We talk so much about lenses, mirrors, eyepieces, and so on, but not so much about caring for the eyes toward which all of those things are bending light.

• Like 2

I think for thise points that:

1) and 10) I would like to observe at country but I am afraid of nasty meetings, I would agree to do it with some friend;

2) If the weather is good I put in terrace my Nexstar 8 SE an hour before, otherwise I observe with my acromatic 80/400 (the Konus Vista) witch has least time of acclimatization;

3) I don't use binoviewers;

4) the winter is a little cold although the Sardinian has a mediterraneam climate, at Cagliari you can do but at Orotelli the temperature is 5 grades  lower than Cagliari ....... I would prefer the  autumn;

5) all right for sketches, I only make thise, I add that sketching is a way of meditation (I did Zen meditation when was young, or, "illo tempore" (gulp!) ............);

6) I don't use apps, I prefer a little stellar atlas and a card astrolabe;

7) and 8): OK;

9) I adore the little scopes because they are very easy to handle, I like very much my Konus Vista. I think that you can do very beautiful things with a little scope too because the secret is the perseverance. For example: James Murden wrote in its book "Astronomy with Binoculars" that Alcock discovered two novae with a binocular many years ago because has had a biggest constancy. 

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 4