Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

On 19/04/2024 at 06:21, Neil H said:

Hi I want to ask a question but don't know we're to ask it so I hope you don't mind me asking here , when I use my seestar most of the time I get messages like "stack failed star trails so binned" or not enough stars , any ideas why I get these ?

Kind regards Neil

I get those messages when skies are a bit hazy or there is a bit of a breeze blowing from certain directions.  But unless your skys are constantly like that you shouldn't get those messages ' most of the time ' !  You do get some good times though, right ?

53 minutes ago, LDW1 said:
On 19/04/2024 at 11:21, Neil H said:

Hi I want to ask a question but don't know we're to ask it so I hope you don't mind me asking here , when I use my seestar most of the time I get messages like "stack failed star trails so binned" or not enough stars , any ideas why I get these ?

Kind regards Neil

I get those messages when skies are a bit hazy or there is a bit of a breeze blowing from certain directions.  But unless your skys are constantly like that you shouldn't get those messages ' most of the time ' !  You do get some good times though, right ?

A couple of nights ago, I found that I was getting too many discarded frames, and found that these reduced if I hit the "AF" button. This sharpened up the focus, very slightly, but dropped the rate of discarded frames. Last night, my display had worked fine for 7 minutes on comet C/2023 A3, and then kept giving me the "Too few stars..." message; the clouds had rolled into that part of the sky.

Geoff

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Can anyone recommend a portable power bank that will actually charge the Seestar when it's in use - loads will not.

I am using a goji g6p20bk21c - works perfectly keeps the seestar at 100% charge with dew heater on for hours. 

13 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Can anyone recommend a portable power bank that will actually charge the Seestar when it's in use - loads will not.

Look for one that has a USB C PD output. The supplied Seestar cables won't work as you will need a full USB C to USB C cable (power & data)

This will allow the Seestar to draw maximum current at 12 Volts.

1 hour ago, cimh said:

I am using a goji g6p20bk21c - works perfectly keeps the seestar at 100% charge with dew heater on for hours. 

I cannot find one of those anywhere.

1 hour ago, AstroKeith said:

Look for one that has a USB C PD output. The supplied Seestar cables won't work as you will need a full USB C to USB C cable (power & data)

This will allow the Seestar to draw maximum current at 12 Volts.

I don't understand any of that - I was looking for a make/model.

'PD' means that the device and power supply have an initial exchange to agree what voltage and current is needed, or available.

In the old days USB meant 5 volts, but with USB C PD it can be a number of voltages, including up to 20V to power laptops. The Seestar supports PD and if plugged into a suitable supply will draw 12 volts and charge at twice the speed of a 5V supply. This is important if the Seestar is being used at the same time, as a 5V supply won't have much left to charge the battery.

If you search for Power banks, look for those that state USB C PD.

Personally I would only ever buy a good brand lithium pack. Check out Anker. As for a specific model, that depends on your budget and how long you want to run the Seestar.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, glafnazur said:

I love your star images 👍 Not many people image individual stars, please keep them coming.

And there are a lot of them.

• Like 1

The Deep Sky Stack feature built into the SS is a great little utility, its enjoyable just to play around with, this is one from last nite that I stacked with it today. I am not sure if I can do a before / after, I will give it a look but I have a couple of things to do first.

IMG_5103.jpeg.8257fd260e3a84dfdd12f61fa44ba3f8.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, squipper said:

Taken before the clouds took over

Nice target 👌 added to my getting longer all the time list of targets 😁

I just don't like the field rotation of an Alt-Az mount so if ZWO would update the firmware / software to support operation in equatorial mode and offer an EQ wedge option I would probably buy one to play with while my regular imaging setup is running. 

2 hours ago, nicoscy said:

Hi Jon,

Apparently you can mount the Seestar on a regular wedge and trick it to "polar align". Many are doing this, but I prefer the simplicity of Alt Az.

They are but it limits your field of view below a certain horizotal position, considerably, it might restrict access to many objects in say Scorpius and Sagittarius, maybe !

Agree 100% - but it's something that one can use temporarily. I do believe ZWO will address this at some point. While I am lazy to do the existing "PA" routine or PA in general with EQ mounts, it's actually not a challenge, so ZWO can't exactly claim that this is an advanced feature ;)

10 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

Agree 100% - but it's something that one can use temporarily. I do believe ZWO will address this at some point. While I am lazy to do the existing "PA" routine or PA in general with EQ mounts, it's actually not a challenge, so ZWO can't exactly claim that this is an advanced feature ;)

Decades ago I had an EQ mount or two, I didn't like the contortionist actions / attitudes that I had to do, I vowed never again, lol. I am sure the automated SS would have its problems as well, some how and for very little gain, in the end !