Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

Hi all, well my Seestar has arrived, and of course so has the bad weather! So, in the meantime I thought I'd have a go at learning the basics of Siril for stacking and image processing. 

Does anyone know of a set of Seestar subs shared on the web somewhere that I might use as an example to work on? Doesn't need to be 100s of frames, just enough to learn the process!

1 hour ago, Giles_B said:

You can use some of mine. I'm out at the moment, but I'll dig some out when I get home. Would you prefer nebulae or galaxies?

Perfect thanks! Not too worried, either is fine - something that doesn’t need huge numbers of subs would be a good start, M42, something like that!

45 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

@jweaver100

I find that a tripod leveler is really useful. In spite of in built software I still want it level if possible.

P1001007.JPG

One interesting note, is that there are many brands selling what appears to be exactly the same thing, for prices between about £20 and £50! Look for “LP-64” to see the range!

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

@jweaver100

I find that a tripod leveler is really useful. In spite of in built software I still want it level if possible.

P1001007.JPG

Bought exactly that from AliExpress for £17 delivered (remarkably in 4 days)... Its a god send, but I keep forgetting to make the adjustment due to the lack of a reminder.

The bubble level on my Seestar's tripod is inaccurate.

As Seestar has supplied a tripod with a built-in bubble level (invisible in use), I thought that I would give it a check.

I set up a level surface, checked with several decent linear and circular bubble levels, and calibrated the mount. When rotated on that surface, the app was giving between 0.1 and 0.2, - so effectively level. With the tripod legs fully splayed, and legs retracted, the little bubble level was way off towards its adjacent leg. I adjusted the tripod to get the bubble central, screwed on the Seestar, and got a reading of between 1.9 (green circles) and 2.0 (white circles).

I now have a small bubble level glued to the mount, with a central bubble when the mount is level, clear of the altitude assembly rotation, and readable (just} with the mount unpowered.

Geoff

8 hours ago, Brutha said:

Perfect thanks! Not too worried, either is fine - something that doesn’t need huge numbers of subs would be a good start, M42, something like that!

I've sent some subs of M42 by PM - sorry for the wait!

• Like 1

I tried out the new update a few nites ago, first time I have seen stars in a couple of months, lol !  I really like it, especially the new adjustments on the enhancing screen on the right side, etc.  The 3 point goto works perfectly at this point.  Skize in my urban backyard were Bortle 6-7 instead of the normal 4-5, worked the SS from 6:30-8:30 pm, temp was around 32° F. The SS really is amazing considering what I got on a 13 min. take and a small amount of fiddling in Lr.  PS:  ZWO really is a friend to all us EAA'ers, they work hard for us every time it seems, I would like to donate $250 to them, if I knew where / how, for that reason !

IMG_4796.thumb.jpeg.34cc266e6da73e7fad7c06bc3f1ab14e.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
change phto size
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Beginning to think I may have to get one of these... 🤔

I think you should buy one too.  But then, its so good I think everyone should have one!  😊  This was my very first image with mine on my first night out, and only two minutes exposure, poor seeing and about to go behind  some trees! 

20240106_051642.thumb.jpg.bd1dcefde5fa92b8dc6b2fb6883b9e2a.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Typo
  • Like 5

The fact that they're still developing the product and app to add features is reassuring too, so its only gotten better over the past few months since release. Given the price point that makes it incredible value for money IMHO.

• Like 3

im looking forward to the tracking in daylight - it was one of the things I liked about the dwarfii. be interesting to see if it can track the squirrels in my garden half as good as my jack russell can...

• Haha 2